Answered

Exporting all Contact event data

• 11 May 2023
  • 4 replies

Hiya.

We push event data on our contacts. Like when they perform a “search” or a “download”, some of the events with additional properties like “keyword” or “download type”.

Is there any way to export ALL events on all contacts, so we can do some data mining on them with our own tools?
Export either as plain CSV’s, or maybe to tools like BigQuery?

I’ve had a brief look at the API, but it looks like (I may be wrong) you can only query events for specific contacts. We need the events from everyone.

Or are there maybe apps than can be used for this? SeekWell maybe?

/Soeren S.

icon

Best answer by Milan 11 May 2023, 22:26

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi @Søren Sprogø  not possible to get Events from Intercom as CSV… :( 

But just a thought - you have the source of those events somewhere in your backend (as you are sending it to Intercom from some other system). Why don’t you take the data from that system? :) 

But just a thought - you have the source of those events somewhere in your backend (as you are sending it to Intercom from some other system). Why don’t you take the data from that system? :) 

A good question :-)

For several reasons:

1. That will involve our tech dep., those usually have a “tech pipeline” with other tasks I’ll have to compete against. A tech pipeline can usually be circumvented a bit, especially using bribes (cake and/or beer usually works), but I’m all out of those this month ;-)

2. We add data to contacts from several different systems, usually involving events. So our own backend doesn’t have ALL the details that I need. I could of course pull all the data from all our sources manually, figure out what all the primary keys are, clean the data up, then merge/join it… And do that every month, when I need the data for reporting. That sounds like a lot of work :-P

3. Sometime in the near future, I need to be able to look at those event data in segments, according to how we have created segments on our contacts inside Intercom. Would be a hassle to replicate those manually.

Hope it makes sense :-)

​​​​​​​

A good question :-)

For several reasons:

1. That will involve our tech dep., those usually have a “tech pipeline” with other tasks I’ll have to compete against. A tech pipeline can usually be circumvented a bit, especially using bribes (cake and/or beer usually works), but I’m all out of those this month ;-)

2. We add data to contacts from several different systems, usually involving events. So our own backend doesn’t have ALL the details that I need. I could of course pull all the data from all our sources manually, figure out what all the primary keys are, clean the data up, then merge/join it… And do that every month, when I need the data for reporting. That sounds like a lot of work :-P

3. Sometime in the near future, I need to be able to look at those event data in segments, according to how we have created segments on our contacts inside Intercom. Would be a hassle to replicate those manually.

Hope it makes sense :-)

Makes perfect sense. We have an identical use case.

I’m using zapier to push Events from different sources to Intercom and it would be great to export these after they have been cleanly formatted in Intercom.

This thread has given me the idea that I might be able to export a csv from zapier but the data would still need mapping so I don’t think it’s a quick solution

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

@Rich Thompson  @Søren Sprogø I suggest having additional DB that will be filled alongside Intercom - so in case of Zapier it is one more “Action” in the existing Zap. I know this does not solve history of events, but just and idea how to make it work from now on. :)