Answered

How to Track Visitor Pages and Use the Data in Intercom

• 11 April 2023
  • 1 reply

Hello everyone,

I'm wondering if there's a way to capture a visitor's current page as an attribute in Intercom. Specifically, I'd like to be able to track which pages a visitor has visited on our website, and use that information to personalize their messaging experience.

I know that Intercom tracks pageviews by default, but I'm not sure if there's a way to capture the specific URL of the page a visitor is currently on. Ideally, I'd like to be able to use this information in custom data attributes or segments.

Has anyone figured out a way to do this? I've tried looking through the Intercom API documentation and support articles, but haven't been able to find a clear answer.

Any insights or advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!🙏

icon

Best answer by Oseas 14 April 2023, 18:56

View original

1 reply

Hey @User1417! Oséas here from the Support Engineering team 🕵️

We don't have a specific way of tracking page views but one of our Reports will display the top URLs for inbound conversation! You can find it under Reports> Overview.

Regarding to the default page views we track, you can find the specific URL a user visited by going to their profile and hoovering the mouse over the page’s name 👇

From what I understood, what you’re looking for is to save this URL into a user attribute as we do not provide it as a default attribute. You can definitely track this on your end and send this value to Intercom as a custom user attribute as explained in this article. But please note that this would only work for leads/users and you could only hold one value per custom attribute, so you’d have to update it with the latest visited URL. I know this is not ideal though, so I’ll make sure to flag this as a feature request so our Product Team know you’d like to have such an attribute as default in the future.

Hope that helps!