Answered

forward email

• 7 March 2024
  • 3 replies

• New Participant
  • 1 reply

Is there a method for forwarding an email from Outlook to Intercom? Despite my attempts and following the FAQ, I have not been successful

icon

Best answer by cameron.gumley 8 March 2024, 03:54

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi @Ibro -- Cam from the Intercom Engineering Support team here!

Sorry to hear you’ve been having issues with getting email forwarding setup for your Outlook address. 

Setting up email forwarding through Microsoft Outlook can require some additional steps.

Firstly, when setting up forwarding, you should use Outlooks redirect option as this preserves the original sender.

If external forwarding is disabled for your Microsoft 365 account, you will see a specific bounce message in your Inbox at Microsoft 365 after attempting to set up forwarding to Intercom. The text of the bounce will include this line: 550 5.7.520 Access denied, Your organization does not allow external forwarding. Please contact your administrator for further assistance. AS(7555)

To change the outbound spam protections settings you'll need to contact your Microsoft 365 Administrator and ask them to allow automatic external forwarding for any mailboxes that you'd like to use with Intercom. This takes one hour to process and admins can do it via this link: https://security.microsoft.com/antispam

I've included two guides that may be helpful:

Let me know if these additional details prove helpful and how you go from here 👍

Hello @Cam G.. Thank you for your response! Here is the error am facing after setting up the outlook 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hey @Ibro !

It looks like my teammate, Mark got you squared away here. It sounds like there was a permissions issue with your organization not allowing emails to be forwarded.

I’m happy to hear that you two were able to get to the bottom of things!