Answered

Product Tour Missing CSS Selector Problem

• 13 December 2023
  • 1 reply

Hi, I’m having a problem setting up a product tour.

One of my steps asks users to download our plugin, however, a small set of our users might have already installed it, meaning the “Download Plugin” button won’t exist.

Here’s the info I saw in another post:

“If the pointer step in a tour is unable to identify the correct element on the page because the CSS selector associated with the tour step and the CSS selector associated with element on your site do not match, the pointer step will instead show as a “post” step.”

I’m facing an issue here - this post step that defaults has no option for customers to press Next or Skip.

Meaning if the CSS selector isn’t there, there’s no “if” logic for a user to be able to manually move onto the next step.

Is there a way to allow users to move onto the next step if the above occurs?

icon

Best answer by aykut.aydin 8 January 2024, 06:09

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hey @Henry,

There is currently no option to dynamically switch between “click on element” and “next/done button”.

In your case, the step is set to “click on element” hence the next/done button will not be shown.

As you need to use the “click on element” in your use-case, you would need to make the “Download Plugin” button permanently visible, regardless of whether your user already downloaded the file or not. Alternatively, you need to create a different button with the exact same CSS selector, which will only appear for the users who already downloaded the file like a fallback button to pass this step. So the step can then target that button for the users who already downloaded the file.

At the moment, the above would be the options you can consider. It would be great to have an option to dynamically change from “Click on the element” to “Next/Done button” (like a fallback) in this type of cases. I’d recommend submitting this idea here as it can be something our product team can ship in the future.

Hope this clarifies!