Answered

User Error in Product Tour

• 20 November 2023
  • 3 replies

Our team noticed as testing our product tour that on one of the steps if the user clicks the wrong element or step it then messes up all of the following steps and reverts from elements to just having a message pop up in the middle of the screen. Any solution? 

icon

Best answer by Eden 22 November 2023, 18:36

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hey @Bri Milker 👋 Eden from the support engineer team here.

This sounds like an issue with the CSS selectors being used for the pointer steps for your Product Tour! If the pointer step in a tour is unable to identify the correct element on the page because the CSS selector associated with the tour step and the CSS selector associated with element on your site do not match, the pointer step will instead show as a “post” step. You can find more information on how to ensure the CSS selectors used on your site match the selectors for the the Product Tour steps in this article.

I’ve gone ahead and escalated this as a conversation with the support team for you to investigate further and confirm if this is the issue. They will get back to you there as soon as possible! 👍

Hi @Eden  - thanks for your answer above.

I saw you mentioned “If the pointer step in a tour is unable to identify the correct element on the page because the CSS selector associated with the tour step and the CSS selector associated with element on your site do not match, the pointer step will instead show as a “post” step.”

I’m facing an issue here - this post step that defaults has no option for customers to press Next or Skip.

Meaning if the CSS selector isn’t there, there’s no “if” logic for a user to be able to manually move onto the next step.

Is there a way to allow users to move onto the next step if the above occurs?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi @Henry !

I hope you’re doing well!

You will want to fix the CSS Selector for that Pointer Message in order for it to behave how it was designed to. There is no if/else condition for a Product Tour.

This article discusses how CSS Selectors work with Intercom’s Product Tours.