Can Operator gather conversations and user attributes from an inbound email?

Is there a way to allow customers that are contacting us via email to get an auto response and have them somehow fill the conversation attributes we need?

We have customers that use an on premise not SaaS product. They reach out to us mainly via email. Can we send an auto response back only to conversations inbound via the email channel?

10 replies

Userlevel 1

Hey @haneen​! 👋

Right now, Operator (our bot which sends auto responses) can only ask for conversation and customer attributes on inbound conversations sent through the Messenger. It's not possible to set this up for email threads!

Ok, minus the conversation attributes...

Is there a way in intercom to set an autoresponse to customers contacting us Via the email channel??

Userlevel 1

There's no way to do this out of the box (through the Intercom UI) - however, you can leverage the Intercom API for this. You can make a call to our API to reply to a conversation when you get a new inbound email message. Here are our developer docs that'll show you the call you need to make!

thank you, this is helpful.

Userlevel 1

Glad to hear it! 😄 Would love to have you share your experience with this workaround once you get it up and running!

So I am trying to solve this with no development hours. I tried to use Zapier but while there is a trigger for when A new conversation gets created, there is no action to ‘reply to a conversation’. I find that weird given that there is an API function for replying. Any suggestions how I can do that. Here is my plan: use zapier to listen in to the new conversation created, trigger a zap to reply to a conversation and include the conversation id and a branded html message. Since the action to reply is not available, I thought about using the outlook zapier app but to do this successfully, I will need to know what is the unique identifier in an email that makes an email chain belong to a specific conversation. I am hoping I can build that into my html message that I will build in Zapier. Thoughts?

Hey @eric f11​ ,

I'm trying to setup inbox app to add canvas content with inbound email details for replies from 3rd party service (we need from name / reply to address as it's always forwarded from the same email and appear as conversation under same contact)

raw_email

It's visible via "raw email" in web UI

(in this case forwarded@email.com is always the same and we need to get Alex and alex@email.com)

But looks like API has no access to those fields (it only shows subject/body and author email, which is always the same)

conversation

Is there a way to access those fields via API?

Thanks

Userlevel 1

Hey @alex u​, I'm afraid there's currently no way to access these fields via API, and I don't have any kind of dev knowledge to suggest a workaround. It might be worth asking this as a separate question in our Q&A section?

Userlevel 1

Hey @haneen​, apologies for the delay in my reply here! Not all of our API endpoints are exposed to Zapier - right now, it's only possible to trigger ten different actions in Intercom through the Zapier platform. Building this kind of solution will require dev hours on your end, I'm afraid!

Hey @eric f11​ ,

Thanks for the reply. I already asked in live chat support, but no response so far.

> separate question in our Q&A section

You mean new topic on this forum? Ok, I'll try that,

thanks!