Answered

Why does Intercom randomly generate names for anonymous leads?

• 10 September 2020
  • 9 replies

Turning off the silly names: Hi guys is there anyway to turn OFF the silly random names Intercom assigns to unknown users? I just have bad visions of our staff calling a customer "Mr Suitcase" etc etc.....by mistake.

icon

Best answer by Eric Fitz 10 September 2020, 15:48

View original

9 replies

Badge

Hi @matt a11​ ,

What do you mean calling a customer "MR Suitcase"? I Don't get it :/ 

Intercom randomly generates unknown visitors' names, Like Yellow Cab, Green Taxi, Red Fox and etc... (That only shows for customer support agents). 

This was made for the good user experience (Agent Side) - Once you get a visitor name, you can simply qualify that lead.

And still, if you want to turn this off, the best way to ask the visitor's name and e-Mail once they will start a conversation. 

You can do this via bot, more info can be found here: https://www.intercom.com/help/en/articles/1155221-automatically-qualify-leads

captureleads

Hope this will be helpful in your case.

Userlevel 1

Hey @matt a11​, while there's no way to turn off the randomly generated names of (Colour) (Object) for anonymous leads, I can give you a few tips on how to qualify your visitors so that these random names get replaced by actual information!

The best tip I can offer is to set up a task bot to qualify your visitors when they message you - this guide will show you how.

Alternatively, you can force your visitors to submit their email address before they can message you. That way, their email address will then show instead of the randomly generated name.

OK thanks guys

Hi @eric f11​ , your link takes me to a discussion about "auto-closing" conversations, not how to qualify visitors when they message you.

I don't think that answers the question at hand?

I am struggling with the same thing here, so would appreciate a link to the right discussion/ guide.

Thanks!​ 

Userlevel 1

Hey @user438​, apologies! I've just updated the link now so that it takes you to the guide I referenced. Thanks for spotting that and letting me know!

Hi @eric f11​ , Thank you for your prompt reply!

I can see the link to  force your visitors to submit their email address, but not the guide to "set up a task bot to qualify your visitors when they message you [I am assuming you are talking about qualifying by asking their name, not email address in this link]".

I am assuming these are 2 different links as you put forward 2 alternatives, but the link in the first alternative is not visible. Are you able to make this visible please? (or does it take a few hours/days for any links to be approved/visible?)

Thank you!

Badge

Hi @user438​ ,

Here's a link from the Intercom Help center about lead automatic qualification:

https://www.intercom.com/help/en/articles/1155221-automatically-qualify-leads/p>

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Userlevel 1

Thanks so much for posting that link for @user438​, @roy s11​!

@user438​, my bad - I thought I'd updated the reply correctly, but it must have slipped through the cracks 😅 thank you for your patience!

I called someone 'Violet' the other day and everyone involved got very confused, including myself.

We have people working from different cultural backgrounds and the autogenerated names are not so obvious to some.

Is there any way to turn this off now?