Answered

Unable to connect from Android Apps

• 14 September 2020
  • 14 replies

In INTERCOM iuas7kkt we are unable to connect to INTERCOM from Android apps, we dont have this problem with Web or iOS. We see a difference here, in settings/security. What we are missing in Android, please? Kind regards. https://app.intercom.com/a/apps/iuas7kkt/settings/security/p>

icon

Best answer by Eric Fitz 25 June 2021, 13:29

View original

14 replies

Hey there! Can you share a little more about what you're seeing (eg. are you getting an error in the logs when you run your app with the Android SDK installed, which version of the Android SDK you're using etc)?

For what it's worth, here are a couple of common integration problems people have. Might be worth checking these aren't your issue as well:

• It's worth checking that all the steps in the installation instructions were followed. Sometimes folks use the wrong credentials (eg. iOS API key instead of the Android one) or miss a step (eg. considering Android X or Java 😎.
  • The Android SDK supports API level 21 and up. Worth checking to make sure that your app's target is the same (or higher).

If you've been able to successfully integrate the SDK and those two points above don't solve the problem, best to check the console for error logs when you run the app. Feel free to share those, but make sure you remove any identifiable (eg. names, email addresses) or secure info (eg. API keys) before you do.

Attached the image of the Android emulator, Nexus 5 API 29 - Android 10.0. With other simulators and with the apk installed in a real device we retrieve the same error. We see "Intercom isnt installed for your Android app yet", what is the way to solve it? the conf is like the iOS one. Thank you very much in advance!!!ANDROID_CONFANDROID_INTERCOM_ERROR

Ah, I see what you mean now. From looking at this, I would assume you've only run the Android SDK in simulators/test devices, and not published the app to the Play Store yet? What this message is intended to mean is "Intercom isn't installed for your live Android app yet". When you publish your app to the Play Store, this message should disappear.

Can I check that my assumptions there are correct (ie. you haven't released a version of your Android app with the mobile SDK installed to the Play Store yet), and also that in the Android SDK is working as expected in the simulator?

Hello Mathew, thank you very much for your help. The Apps is published, and in Android we retrieve the same error in the real device and in the simulator. Kind regards.

Ah, sorry. The second image didn't load when I saw your message. When you see that error in the app, what errors do you get in the simulator's console log?

Sadly i'm unable to see nothing relevant via React Native Debugger, screenshot attachedREACT_DEBUG

When you click on 'console', there's nothing there?

Nothing. Sorry.

Gotcha. In that case, my gut tells me that it's probably either an issue with the integration in the app or with the React Native plugin itself. The fact that you aren't seeing errors being logged suggests there's something going on with the plugin, as the SDK will be generating the errors when something goes wrong.

We aren't able to support React Native, so I would suggest following up with the developer of the plugin you're using. If it's something from a third party developer, taking a look through the issues in the repo might help you find the cause as well.

I dont think so. With other INTERCOM instances we connect without problems from Android, with exactly the same software. There is something in the configuration that we are missing! Same software and versions but different app and different INTERCOM instance: it works (screenshot)INTERCOM_OK

Android conf is different and we dont know why.Captura de pantalla 2020-09-15 a las 13.18.24

Got it. I think this is probably getting a bit complicated for dealing with on the forum. To try and figure out what's going on here, I think someone will need to take a look at the settings in your different Intercom workspaces. Can I suggest dropping our support team a line in the Messenger, and give them a link to this thread? If you include the details of the working workspace and the workspace you're having trouble with as well, that'll help them. That way, they'll at least be able to look at the settings side of thing and give you some recommendations there.

Thank you very much indeed for your help, Mathew. Kind regards, David.

Userlevel 1

Hey @user296​, just wanted to let you know that @Mathew Cropper​ and the team have now shipped an official React Native SDK for Intercom! This might help to resolve some of the issues you were experiencing. You can find more information here.