Answered

Responses are being send to the customers SPAM folder, what can we do?

• 24 September 2020
  • 10 replies

Hi all,

We are currently having a lot of issues with responses we send via Intercom. It seems that a great amount of our replies go info the SPAM folders of the receiving contacts.

We now are receiving more and more replies form customer why we don't respond and it's hurting our service level quite hard.

Is there anyone who can help us urgently????

Cheers,

Pieter

icon

Best answer by Damien S 28 September 2020, 06:40

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi Pieter 👋 have you configured your Intercom workspace to send out outbound mail using your own domain? This is the best way to improve inbox placement.

However, if you've already done this, and you're experiencing this issue, let me know!

Hi Eric,

This has been setup and the domain has been verified. Emails coming in also come from our support mail.

Cheers,

Pieter

Userlevel 1

Thanks for clarifying this for me, @pieter b​. It seems as though this is an issue which is specific to your own workspace - in that case, I'd recommend contacting our support team through the Messenger, as they'd be best placed to help you here!

@pieter b​ we are also having the same problem and have been for over a month.

It's mostly with Microsoft email services and when I contacted support last week they said they already knew about it. They have put a "temporary mitigation" on our account over the weekend, but we don't know if it's made any real change yet.

@eric f11​ please note that we went through the same thing with emails going to the spam/junk folder for people using Microsoft's email services a year ago with a different service. The problem is that Microsoft seems to pay a lot of attention to the sending email server's IP address to give it a reputation score. If the email server also sends bulk marketing emails it gets a poor reputation score and any other emails sent from that server usually end up in spam/junk. Our problem was resolved with the other service by them splitting their outgoing email servers by purpose. All marketing/bulk emails are sent from 1 group of servers and all regular emails from another separate group of email servers.

Also, we're very disappointed that Intercom knew of this problem but have left it up to us to find out ourselves. This affects anyone sending to outlook.com, hotmail.com, live.com, Office 365, Microsoft 365 and many business email accounts.

@damien s​ Our email runs true Office365, how would we be able to split that up? Could you point us in the right direction on that?

@pieter b​ there's nothing you can do as the emails are sent from Intercom, not Office365. We were told last week that the fix had been implemented (no idea what they did) but we have been able to email customers who are using Microsoft's email platforms from Intercom which we weren't able to before. Has yours improved?

Hi! we are experiencing the same issues with our emails either going to their spam folder or even not being received. Were you all able to improve this?

Userlevel 1

Hey @molly m11​, we were able to mitigate the initial issue reporting in this thread (with Microsoft domain placement). It sounds like you might be experiencing a different issue and, often, placement issues can be specific to your workspace. I can see that you're already chatting with DJ from our Support team about this - you're in good hands with her1

Hey everyone, we seem to be experiencing a similar issue. We’re getting responses from users saying they’re not receiving our responses and it’s hurting their experience. @eric f11​ is this something that’s better handled by me chatting with support?

Userlevel 1

Hey @user643​, yep, I'd definitely recommend you contact Support directly here!