Answered

How can users access restricted articles in Help Center?

• 25 September 2020
  • 9 replies

Hi, I have some restricted articles that is only visible to a group of users. User authentication is working in messager, but if I suggest them to go to those restricted articles, they will be redirected to the Help Center website, and Help Center doesn't recognize them as users, thus will block their access. What do I need to do for Help Center to identify my users as users?

icon

Best answer by Roy 10 July 2021, 19:24

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hope you doing well.

​

To start using an audience targeting, you should use a custom domain and cookie forwarding.

​

​1. Set-up custom domain for the help center;

Without custom domain only certain targeting option will work;

​

2. Set-up cookie forwarding by including your app URL in settings; ​

​

More information can be found here:

​https://www.intercom.com/help/en/articles/2982803-how-do-i-enable-audience-targeting-for-articles/p>

​

https://www.intercom.com/help/en/articles/2982784-control-who-can-see-your-articles-with-audience-targeting/p>

​

​If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

I followed your instruction and setup the custom domain, the messager appears in Help Center and it recognize me as the correct user. However, the help center still shows nothing and asks me for login. After I login, the Help Center refreshes, but nothing changes, and stays like this:

My app, help center and login do share one top-level domain. Is there anything else I have possibly missed?

Thanks very much, Roy

I'm also having this issue, did you manage to resolve it?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello @sandy l​ , Can you share a bit more what kind of issue are you talking about during restricting articles?

I will be happy to help.

I have set up the custom domain for the knowledge base, and have restricted an article to only display to 'users'. However, the article is not displaying within the knowledge base.

I've checked and the intercom session cookie is set for each URL and it matches.

The intercom messenger loads on the help centre, identifies the user and the article shows within the messenger for the user.

Within the intercom dashboard it shows that the user was tracked to the help centre URL.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@sandy l​ , oh, let's fix that one by one.

1. Once you go to Help center and open Intercom messenger, it's showing you as a logged in user?

2. Can you share screens on how you set-up article restriction? (Screen from articles -> Settings -> audience targeting).

3. Your domains are pointed on Cloud flare or AWS?

4. Are you using the same domain? Like App.Domain.com / Help.Domain.com / Domain.com.

Looking forward.

Hi Roy,

1. Yes, picking up user name and also previous conversations
  2. See attachedarticle restrictions
  3. AWS
  4. Our app uses 'dashboard.[productname].co.uk' help is using 'help.[productname].co.uk'
Userlevel 1
Badge

@sandy l​ ,

Can you check if forward cookies and other settings are correctly set-up from AWS?

Please, follow this article:

https://developers.intercom.com/installing-intercom/docs/set-up-your-custom-domain#section-how-to-configure-ssl-with-aws/p>

Looking forward.

Thanks, that looks to have sorted it out.