Answered

When validating custom domain email addresses, does Intercom support MTA Strict Transport Security (MTA-STS)?

• 12 October 2020
  • 21 replies

Settings > Outbound > Addresses & Domains > Custom Addresses

I am trying to setup a new email address to allow messages sent from Intercom to reflect our company domain in the 'From' field. The problem is that I am not receiving the message that is required to complete the email address verification.

I believe the problem is that the messages are being blocked because we have a security feature enabled on our Google G Suite account known as MTA-STS ( https://support.google.com/a/answer/9261504?hl=en ). Can you advise if Intercom supports this and how we can complete the verification process?

icon

Best answer by Jack C11 13 October 2020, 17:33

View original

21 replies

Userlevel 1

Hey @jack c11​ 👋 let me check with our deliverability team for you about this, I'll have an answer for you as soon as I can!

I'm not that familiar with MTA-STS, but is it possibly to set exceptions for certain domains?

Userlevel 1

I checked our email sending logs, and the verification email to the hello@ address is bouncing back with the error code that the address does not exist. Which DKIM service did you use to create the address?

The address was created as a Google Workspace Group email and it is currently receiving email, please try manually and you should not get a bounce.

Userlevel 1

As per our guide on how to send email from your own domain, you'll need to create a CNAME record in your DNS provider as part of this process. Have you created a CNAME record? If so, which DNS provider did you use for your CNAME record?

Yes, this was previously done and the DKIM and Domain were both verified by Intercom. I granted Intercom support access to our account, can you see it? But I thought you said you saw an email bouncing, why is it bouncing? It is an active account, so it shouldn't be bouncing. My guess is that the first invite may have bounced and now it's not will not try to send to the account anymore. This happens with some email systems; once an account is added to the bounce list (marked an address as invalid), it does not try to resend messages until it's manually removed from the bounce list.

Userlevel 1

I've just removed your hello@ address from our bounce list, can you try sending the verification email again and let me know if it comes through?

That worked, the address is now verified, I will test - but it seems like it should be fine now. thank you!

Userlevel 1

Great, I'm glad to hear it! Let me know if you can send emails from Intercom using that address OK 👍

@eric f11​ having the same issue as Jacks where I've tried to verify an email and it's not coming through even after adding the CNAME. Can you remove help@thexo.io from your bounce list?

Userlevel 1

Hey @todd s​, just did that for you now! Let me know if it works OK.

That worked! Thanks so much!

Thanks @eric f11​ that worked great! Does it take a couple hours for the email to verify once accepting the link via the email?

Userlevel 1

It should be pretty instantaneous, is it still showing up as "Unverified"?

@eric f11​ correct, I've tried a couple times and each time the email comes with the link the account remains "Unverified" (see attached). We have the DKIM/CNAME set up as well but thought it would verify the email first and then we would authenticate?Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 8.29.30 AM

Userlevel 1

If you go to DKIM Settings and click Verify authentication, what happens?

See attached! Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 9.48.45 AMScreen Shot 2020-11-09 at 9.48.14 AM

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello @todd s​ , Let me try to help you here.

Appears you incorrectly created a CNAME record. You are using Digitalocean as a service provider.

Please add the following record:

Type - CNAME

Hostname - intercom._domainkey

Is An Alias of - @

renditionDownloadMake a correction add the CNAME record and it will start working.

Thanks @roy s11​ !! Just updated our CNAME record. Appreciate the help.

Userlevel 1

Heh, @roy s11​ to the rescue! Thanks for much for helping out @todd s​ here! 🙌

@eric f11​ we have the same issue as I'm trying to verify an email. Our domain is verified by Intercom. Can you please remove info@partly.com from your bounce list?

Userlevel 1

Hey @tri​, can you try again?