Answered

Post->Push->Post combo in Series

• 12 October 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hello, Intercom Community.

I would like to create a Series that would use the combination of posts and pushes.

The desired outcome

1) user is entering the series

2) we are waiting for some time and sending the POST

• IF the post IS delivered (user was online), we will wait for another period of time and will send another post (of course, if the exit rules were not triggered)
  • IF the post IS NOT delivered, we will send a push notification

3) we will wait for another period of time and repeat post->push with the other messages

On the screenshot you can see the draft. I would like to clarify a couple of things.

• If the post IS NOT delivered (user was not online), we are sending the push. Ideally user is clicking on it and opens the APP. WILL the previously send post be delivered since the user visited the platform? Or since we moved from the post to the push, Series will not send previously planned Post?
  • If the post is not delivered and user did not enable Push Notifications or don't use the mobile app at all, what will happen? Will we move to the next step of "waiting", or we will just "stuck" on the Push step, since it cannot be sent?

Unlike Post, Push have the only one outcome "When delivered", so I'm not sure, what will happen if push cannot be delivered to the user.

I'm adding a screenshot of the draft to this post. I will appreciate any advices and answer that the community can provide.

Thank you in advance

Снимок экрана 2020-10-13 в 00.26.47 

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 16 October 2020, 17:35

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello @denis t​ ,

>WILL the previously send post be delivered since the user visited the platform? Or since we moved from the post to the push, Series will not send previously planned Post?

If the user moved from Post to Push, only push message will be delivered.

>If the post is not delivered and user did not enable Push Notifications or don't use the mobile app at all, what will happen? Will we move to the next step of "waiting", or we will just "stuck" on the Push step, since it cannot be sent?

That's an interesting question, never had such a case before. In my opinion, you will just move to the next step. 

To avoid such cases, you can split desktop and mobile app users and send them an e-mail instead of a Push notification. 

Hopes this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

This will definitely help. At least I know about the part with the Post.

As for the push - guess I will just test it and see, if the users are moving forward

*my goal is not to split the channels but to get the Series work for the cohort from all the angles, so I will try to keep both posts and pushes this one

Hey @denis t​ 👋 We've spoken about this but I wanted to share the answer here in case others have the same question!

Q - If the post IS NOT delivered (user was not online), we are sending the push. Ideally user is clicking on it and opens the APP. WILL the previously send post be delivered since the user visited the platform? Or since we moved from the post to the push, Series will not send previously planned Post?

A - @roy s11​ is correct. As the user did not qualify for the post message, they've moved on in the path and cannot move back so they won't receive it when they do log in. If you're using a push message to remind users to log in so they get a message, it's a good idea to add another block after the push message with the content you're hoping to share with them.

Q - If the post is not delivered and user did not enable Push Notifications or don't use the mobile app at all, what will happen? Will we move to the next step of "waiting", or we will just "stuck" on the Push step, since it cannot be sent?

A - If a user does not have push notifications enabled, they won't be able to match any of the rules and as there isn't a 'If not delivered' option for push messages they'll become disengaged and leave the whole path. This article looks at when a user will exit a Series in more detail.

What I would do here is use a rule block to check whether a user has enabled push notifications (like in the image below). If they have, they get a push notification. If they don't, they get an email. Then, they continue through the path as normal. You could also look at how long a message will try to match for in case they do come online.

Screenshot 2020-10-16 at 16.20.32

Userlevel 1
Badge

@user223ielle Swanser​ , Nice idea to use Q - / A-, Thanks for the suggestion :P 

I Will use it in my next comments.

Glad to be of help, Roy! 🙌