Answered

How do I insert a PDF in an article and then add it to a collection that only specific users can see?

• 17 October 2020
  • 13 replies

I'd like to insert some PDFs into an article in my Help Center (and create a new collection with these articles for specific users on our site) - is it possible?

icon

Best answer by Sushana 19 October 2020, 07:01

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

@brian n​ ,

Q - I'd like to insert some PDFs into an article in my Help Center

A - How do you want to insert PDF's in article? Link like this -> PDF

If you want just a link text with a PDF file, you can upload it in Google Drive, share it with anyone who has a link, and then link.

Q - Create a new collection with these articles for specific users on our site

A - For this you should enable audience targeting for articles, more information can be found here

Once you enable audience targeting for articles, you can control who can see specific article.

Instruction how you can do it.

Nice work-around, Roy...would be great if Intercom can allow for attachments in some way, though. We're actually a Google-based organization, so your solution works even more nicely. Thanks!

Update: I talked to our IT group and they used the media directory on our website instead so that we can both manage our documents centrally (better version control) and also allow us to bypass any Google Drive restrictions that some of our customers (higher education schools) have.

Userlevel 1
Badge

You can request this in @Product Wishlist​ Grup, Always happy to help.

Badge +2

Wonderful Solutions there @roy s11​ !

Badge +2

@brian n​ : @roy s11​ 's provided a great solution for PDF attachments (that I'd myself love to try for our product's Help Center). W.r.t restricting visibility of articles to a select group of users, here's what we've done:

We have training tutorials demos we do for each client's own demo environment (rather than doing a generic one on the company's demo environment). We've uploaded these videos to Vimeo (Intercom supports embedded videos hosted on Vimeo, besides other tools, like Loom which we also leverage).

Doing so helps our users learn faster due to familiarity with what they see in our application.

We've got a whole collection of Training demos articles wherein each video is hosted within a dedicated article for a specific customer and we restrict that article's visibility to only users of that customer. Article settings for each article are tailored to target only that customer, we use the Company attribute to ensure only users from that customer can view that article when they see our Help Center. (See this article from Intercom's Help Center for details on 'who can see your articles'.)

Hope you find this helpful.

Userlevel 1

@roy s11​ comes through with the solution again - our community superstar! 💛

@sushana​ - thanks for going into so much detail about audience targeting and sharing your use case so as to help @brian n​!

Love to see multiple Connectors on a thread each sharing their experience! 🙌

Badge +2

@eric f11​ , thanks! I'm happy to share. This is the best possible solution we've been able to provide to our own users who've requested for a customised Help Center. Since we cannot do that, restricted visibility Collections are the next best thing.

Userlevel 1

Gotcha! Make sure to pass on any feedback you have about our Articles product (or any of our products!) in the @Product Wishlist​ group - I'm constantly badgering our PMs and product team to take a look there 😂

Thanks so much, Sushana. :)

Userlevel 1
Badge

@sushana​ , Restrict whole collection visibility is a nice catch, restrict articles one by one takes too much time.

+1

Good job @sushana​ .

Userlevel 1
Badge

@eric f11​ , @sushana​ - Oh... Thanks, appreciate and trying my best 🙏💙

It'd be great if I could embed the PDF into the Article for visibility, not just hyperlink to it hosted elsewhere.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

@quinn w​ You could create a screenshot from the PDF, upload the PDF file to a server and then link the image to the file.