Answered

Can I install Intercom using Google Tag Manager in such a way that I can also trigger external events?

• 19 October 2020
  • 5 replies

For conversation tracking purpose I'm wondering if someone has a solution to integrate Intercom with Google Tag Manager so that I can setup a trigger in Google Tag Manager e.g. when a new lead is created in Intercom?

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 20 October 2020, 16:17

View original

5 replies

Hey @robert b11​ ,

I don't fully understand the details of what you're describing, so if you'd like to add some more details describing the scenario/use-case I'd love to help find a way to get that done.

In general, with our new GoogleTagManager integration you can do anything you could do with our JavaScript API.

Thanks @Alon Regev​ , was not aware of the new Google Tag Manager integration. This is great. Do you plan on adding additional methods?

We use the Intercom Messenger for lead generation. So for conversion tracking purpose I'm looking for a way to trigger an event in GTM when a visitor enters their email address. (It seems that the "On Unread Count Change" method goes in that direction - triggering an event in GTM.

I could use this custom event in GTM then to fire conversion tracking scripts in GTM for new generated leads (e.g. LinkedIn Conversion Pixel, GoogleAnalytics4 Events, FB Pixel etc)

All JS methods are currently available through the GTM integration. Once we'd add more to the JS API - we'll update the GTM integration as well.

To your point - we currently do not have a "callback" that can let your code know when a user has entered their email or otherwise transitioned from visitor => lead => user.

I'd recommend voicing these feature requests in the "product wishlist" group.

Ok, thanks. I posted it in the "product wishlist" group.

Hey @robert b11​ ,

If you have your intercom data already in your data warehouse, you can send that data to Google Sheets automatically with SeekWell. It's basically a tool for sending data from your data warehouse to various destinations on an automatic schedule (e.g. weekly, daily, hourly, etc.). You can also automatically update custom attributes in intercom with data in your database or Google Sheets.

Not sure if that will solve your problem exactly since you'd still have to integrate Google Sheets with Tag Manager, but hope this helps! Check out the docs for more info.