Answered

Slack: After I initiate an Intercom conversation through Slack, why do I get an error message when I try to send further replies?

• 20 October 2020
  • 3 replies

• New Participant
  • 1 reply

Slack: "Reply in Channel" click gives the error: "intercom: We couldn't find the user who started this conversation in Intercom." when the chat was initiated via intercom.

We have 2 support workflows, workflow-1 works fine but workflow-2 doesn't.

WORKFLOW-1 (Works): Our app users send a message via in-app intercom messenger and it gets to our slack channel where the support engineer can click on "Reply in channel" to start a conversation. ALL GOOD WITH THIS WORKFLOW

WORKFLOW-2 (Works partially): We want to send a new message (not reply) to a particular user, preemptively (without that user ever having send us a message first). We send this message via intercom dashboard... but then we want to continue any conversation on our integrated slack channel...

So what we do next is this:

1) After sending this message to the user, we assign this conversation to our "Support" intercom team.

2) Only after this assignment, it pops up a message on our slack integration channel, BUT if we then try to hit "Reply in channel" to this conversation, we get a message saying : "Intercom APP: We couldn't find the user who started this conversation in Intercom." and we can't continue this chat.

icon

Best answer by Beth 3 November 2020, 17:31

View original

3 replies

Hi @fahd​ 👋

Thanks for reaching out here and providing that context! Let me review further with an engineer on our team and I'll get back as soon as possible!

I know my teammate Joseph was able to assist with this but wanted to share his answer here to help anyone else wondering the same! This second workflow you referenced and subsequent error is a limitation of the Slack integration. It looks for the ID of the person based on the conversation details, which wouldn't exist yet because they haven't replied, so it's still a message. 

Hi @fahd​ ,

If you are still facing the same problem, you can try any no-code platforms like automate.io which will connect your Slack and Intercom.

With that, you can send messages to the users even if they have not messaged you beforehand. Or else you can check apps like Tray.io, IFTTT. etc. Hope this helps.