Answered

Event driven series - how to trigger a series/carousel at the time an event occurs

I am looking to build a Series that triggers a mobile carousel whenever a user presses a button in our app (regardless of whether they have completed the carousel before or not)

The flow would look like this:

User clicks on partner link in-app (event below recorded) > Open up mobile carousel (an explainer saying who the partner is, benefits, what happens next) > link to third-party partner website

However, all of the rules for Series seem to be based off: Count, first occurred, last occurred and therefore can't initiate this when the button is clicked

Is this an error in recording of my events or is there a solution to trigger series when the button is pressed?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Eric Fitz 11 November 2020, 16:01

View original

16 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello @paddy​ ,

Afraid it's not possible to launch mobile carousel via button.

You can request this feature in @Product Wishlist​ group.

Userlevel 1

Hey @paddy​, we recently launched a new feature which allows you to launch a Mobile Carousel via a button! You can read more about this here.

Awesome @eric f11​ thank you for sorting this!

Userlevel 1

No problem! 😄 You can thank @Mathew Cropper​ and our Mobile team 😉

@paddy​ Glad this is useful for you! Opening a carousel from a button is cool (I would say that, I'm biased). Already added it in my own little side project and my users seem to be getting value from it.

On a related note, one of the things we're exploring at the moment is event-driven triggers (eg. if user does x, show carousel y) and showing the same carousel multiple times. If those are things that would solve problems for you and you're interested in sharing your perspective, let me know. I'd love to involve you in our research 😃

Thanks @Mathew Cropper​! 

Yeah that sounds very useful - happy to be involved in research. Assume you can get contact details from the account? Feel free to drop me an email and we can arrange a time

@Mathew Cropper​ Not sure if progress has been made on this -- I'm just starting out with Series but we would absolutely benefit (it's essential really) from series that can be shown multiple times -- not really sure if that's just certain rules that would trigger that.

Being able to launch a specific part of a series would be super useful - as well as being able to easily hop from one part of it to another. Everything being 'rule based' doesn't allow someone to simply finish one section of a series and start another. Things like launching one bot from another seem pretty simple but aren't in place.

Other things like exporting a part of series to an indiv. message don't seem possible either (though the opposite is).

I have a lot of ideas! Would love to give some input :)

Hey Shawn,

Popping into this conversation since it's about Series! Curious to know how showing the Series multiple times would be useful / what is it that you are trying to achieve.

Also the "launching specific part of the Series" is interesting. Is there a specific example you could share of how you would want to use this?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Shwaytaj Raste​ , I will also jump into the conversation, lot's of people asking about the infinity loop inside Intercom Series. I Can share post URL's if needed.

Hey @roy s11​ and @Shwaytaj Raste​ ,

Thanks for keeping these ideas alive!

Launching Series Multiple Times:

So, our use case is that we use a custom bot to do a questionnaire related to the type of school a child is looking for. If a parent has two children, we want them to be able to simply fill it out again. Likewise, if plans change, they move, or for a new school year, we want them to be able to fill it out again. We have the same questionnaire set up as a standalone custom bot that can be launched from a button, so I understand that possibility, but we want it to be in the series where other actions can take place before/after, if they don't finish it, etc.

Launching Specific Part of Series:

Similar to the above, if we deem a parent to be ready for the questionnaire, we want to be able to plug them directly into that part of the series, without having to 'start at the beginning'.

Infinite Loop

I agree, we have run into this issue a few times -- it's similar to doing something multiple times. Imagine something as simple as a product tour...

Receive Product Tour -> [Doesn't finish] -> Wait 2 days -> Email -> Rule: "If they click link in email" -> Receive Product Tour

The idea is to have them click the link to go back to the product tour to finish it, but this would create an infinite loop (or perhaps I haven't figured out how to create it in a different way. I suppose there are workarounds with some more complicated rules... but there have definitely been times when the simplest way to do something ran us straight into an infinite loop.

Hope that helps -- happy to provide more details or examples!

That would be great. We're trying to understand as much as we can about this use case, so any real life use cases will be super useful!

Thanks a lot Shawn! This is super helpful. Would you up for a quick call sometime next week to chat a little more about this?

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Shwaytaj Raste​ , as promised:

Here lots of use cases, think will be helpful.

I also thought that the infinity loop was not-useful. After carefully reading and suggesting help in these posts, I'm saying that it's mandatory to have this feature.

@Shwaytaj Raste​ Apologies on the late reply -- busy busy! I'd be happy to connect. Next week would be a lot better. If you shoot me an email, I can respond with some possible times and a scheduling link. I guess you have my info! Looking forward to it!

@Shwaytaj Raste​ @eric f11​ @Mathew Cropper​ - I know you don't maintain the tiny creative React Native SDK but do you have contacts there / any chance you could help them update it with the latest features? The issues are starting to mount on GitHub https://github.com/tinycreative/react-native-intercom/issues

Hey @paddy​ . A couple of customers have gone ahead and made changes themselves to get it working with the latest SDKs, and I'm encouraging them to contribute their changes to that community.

React Native in general, and this wrapper in particular, aren't something we are able support at the moment. I know that people have come to rely on the Tiny Creative wrapper and the community around it, though, so I'm going to spend some time seeing what options we have. I can't promise anything right now, but it's on my radar 👍