Answered

I have the problem that we need to update many organizations (> 100k ) on a regular basis ideally via a bulk call. Reading https://developers.intercom.com/intercom-api-reference/reference#update-contact I see no reference to any bulk action.

• 28 October 2020
  • 9 replies

I have the problem that we need to update many organizations (> 100k ) on a regular basis ideally via a bulk call.
Reading https://developers.intercom.com/intercom-api-reference/reference#update-contactI see no reference to any bulk action.
icon

Best answer by Eric Fitz 2 November 2020, 13:29

View original

9 replies

Btw it would be nice if you could ask questions with more that 2 tweet length

Badge +1

You can write a lot more in the 'details' section when adding a question -- the 255 character limit is only for the title 😁

Okay thanks for the hint.

But my actual question still stands, which would be if there is any recommended way to bulk api calls or have some mass import api?

Else I'd have to do updates one by one which would mean that for 100k entries it would already take 33 mins if I hit with 3k calls / min.

Badge +1

There's reference to some bulk capability here: https://developers.intercom.com/building-apps/docs/oauth-scopes#people--conversation-data/p>

But I'm not well acquainted with the API -- someone else might be able to provide you with a more detailed answer.

Userlevel 1

Hey @patrick o​ 👋 our rate limiting is in place to ensure that we can continue to handle all API requests from our customers in a consistent and scalable fashion. We don't have a mass import API or a way for you to make bulk API calls.

Can you tell me a little bit more about your use case here? That'll help me to investigate a potential solution for you.

The use case actually is that we have some updates form a "DWH" on meta properties and want to update them in Intercom.

I see that if this isn't an option to keep the state from that specific intercom properties cached "locally" and then do a diff, and minimize the delta we are going to update.

I think we can work around those limits somehow, I just was curious if this became an option. I looked into that 4 years ago and there was no bulk / mass import API either - so I just was curious if something has happened in the meantime.

Userlevel 1

Thanks for clarifying this for me, @patrick o​. One further question I have - will this be a one-off update of this magnitude? Or will you frequently be making all these calls at the same time?

This is not clear, we try to determine deltas as much as possible to work around that, but eventually I think this is a recurring thing do do a full load.

The old job - which we are deprecating - just does that and hit's the API at the rate limit and takes AFAIK ( not 100% sure ) ~ 2 days to complete.

Userlevel 1

Thanks so much for your patience here, @patrick o​. I'm checking with our team to see if there's anything else that we can do to help here, and I'll let you know as soon as I have a response.