Answered

Anyone using Segment for data? Their connection with the Intercom API is outdated

• 4 November 2020
  • 5 replies

Our company uses Looker for data and analytics with our product. The Product team uses all of the different data stats collected from different places to define the product adaption, UX/UI, and Voice of the Customer.

We use Segment to collect data from different sources, including Intercom. The issue I'm running into is Segment will not update their Intercom API from 1.x to the newest 2.2 which provides many updates for customer support.

We are either going to have to build our own integration directly from Intercom to Looker (not ideal at all) or possibly someone from Intercom can connect with Segment to move this along?

icon

Best answer by Beth 7 November 2020, 00:12

View original

5 replies

Hey @user435​ 👋

Thanks for connecting here! To confirm, have you reached out to the Segment team via their Help center with this concern? If not, I'd suggest reaching out to them with the details you've provided here to help get this updated. If so, can you provide any other insight as to what they have shared regarding this update?

Hey Brett, does your company use a Data Warehouse (Big Query, Snowflake, Redshift)? If so, there are a few ways to move Intercom data to Looker via your Warehouse.

Hey @beth​!

Our Data team has connected with Segment's support and they asked for exact data points that we're looking for in the new Intercom 2.x API that we don't already have access to. Without this, they won't consider the upgrade. While looking at Intercom's API documentation, I feel like I would have to go line-by-line to determine what's new compared to Segment's documented Intercom API information. Unless ... there's a blog post or something easy to see what was launched with Intercom 2.x API, then I could easily point to the missing pieces.

@user25​ I appreciate the offer to check out Trifacta, however, if Segment was updated, our Data team would be able to work with the provided data.

Hey Brett, I wasn't referring to Trifacta -- it doesn't solve this problem (Trifacta is a data prep tool that allows you to clean complex data sets before sending them to BI tools for analyses). If you do use a DW, I can recommend other solutions that will allow you to move your existing data directly from the DW to BI tools like Looker.

Hey @user435​ 👋

Thanks for getting back to me on this with those details. I did discuss with engineer on our team, but as this is built and managed by Segment, there's not much we can offer on an update.