Answered

Looking for the best way to create and manage escalation SLAs (This is really an inbox AND reporting question).

• 6 November 2020
  • 7 replies

I am setting up a process by which our Support team escalates an issue to another team - for example Engineering. I want to set up a First Response SLA with Engineering based on the priority of the ticket (P1 through P4). For example, if I have a ticket to escalate to Engineering, I will use the jira integration to attach the issue to a jira project and I will add 1 tags "EngESC" (the priority of the conversation is already in a conversation field). How would I capture (in a report) how long it takes Engineering to respond to the escalation after I have added the EngESC tag? Another option would be to create another Inbox called Engineering Escalations and physically move the ticket to that box, but again, I am still looking to report on how long it takes from the time I moved it to that box to the first time Engineering responds.

If there is another way to do this, I would sincerely appreciate any suggestions.

icon

Best answer by Teodora 3 December 2020, 11:06

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 1

Hey @user386​ 👋 we follow a similar escalation process internally within our Support team, where technical queries would be manually reassigned to a Support Engineers inbox (after setting expectations with the customer).

A way to track the response times to conversations in this inbox would be to filter your Responsiveness report, in Intercom, by Tag is EngESC and Team Assigned is (the name of your engineering inbox).

Would a note in the conversation (vs a reply) count as response for the purpose of First Response and response times?

Userlevel 1

Nope, only replies for teammates and customers count towards the calculation of FRT/SRT.

Badge +1

Hi Fitz!

Quick question: Is it REALLY necessary to have 4 levels of priority?

Now I wonder this, not because of intercom. Just think it'll make your job harder.

I would say: priority or not. And with this, you have the small star to click on the chat.

Thanks Ismael - While 4 might be high (potentially I could work into low, med, high), one is not enough to support our business model at this time.

We are using custom attributes to the conversations and we have created the priorities in the conversation data (also high, medium, low). So our SLAs are based on these and type of client (standard or premium) which is also taken from an attribute. For chat it's easy to setup as clients are selecting any of the options but for emails we are using key words and some of the conversations do not have any SLA or it's not the correct one. I would love to have the option to change the SLA as currently we can only remove it.

Thanks - Unfortunately, our Engineering team does not use Intercom, they use Jira. I do have the Intercom Jira integration working so that when they update tickets linked to an Intercom ticket - it pushes those comments from Jira into a note in Intercom. But since the note timestamp is not tracked for reporting, this doesn't help for the SLA. Obviously the note does generate a timestamp so I assume that something custom could be created via API to calculate the timestamp of the note against an SLA of some sort?