Answered

Any suggestions for having a user "indicate interest"?

• 18 November 2020
  • 3 replies

Our product has some thick-client aspects that require users to download and install updates and we usually help them through that process. We have a cloud portion where we have Intercom installed. We'd like to run a tour on the cloud portion and then at the end of the tour have the user do something that indicates their interested in updating. Our internal employees would then reach out to the user to work with them.

Where I'm running into a challenge is that due to our security stance, we don't store user's PII in Intercom (i.e. their email). We can connect the dots from the user ID on our backend, but Intercom itself isn't approved to store it (yet). So, I'm looking to come up with an easy way for the user to indicate that they're interested without collecting their email address. Best I can come up with is have emoji that indicate interest and then we'd manually review the list of who clicked an emoji to follow-up with them.

Any other ideas for how to collect user's interest?

icon

Best answer by Roy 20 November 2020, 06:35

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello @matthew b11​ ,

Product tours are working for non-logged in visitors as well, all you need to do is create custom attributes and launch tours based on this data.

Al you need to do:

- Create a custom attribute like - "interest"

- Add tracking possibility to Intercom messenger code:

====================

<script>

window.intercomSettings = {

app_id: "APPID",

interest: "<%= current_user.interest%>" //

};

</script>

====================

- Open product tour configuration and use the interest to launch a tour on the specific web-page.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions about this topic - Happy to help.

Roy, sorry my explanation wasn't clear. The flow is that the user would see the Tour in our product and somehow indicate interest at the end of the Tour.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@matthew b11​ , Got your point.

In this case, you should start using User_ID and once the product tour will be finished, tag users.

This is a test flow for series: 

RulesHope this helps