Answered

I'd like to know why the Messages (Events/Steps) in my Series don't trigger each other?

• 25 November 2020
  • 6 replies

I’m in the process of creating a tour for the onboarding of our platform. I’m using Series to make this happen but I’m encountering a few problems and I can’t seem to find the solutions anywhere; hence this post.

What I’m trying to do is to start a tour, after some input from a user (e.g. reacting to a banner or a bot) I want to start the next tour. So the happy flow of my series looks like this:

1. Entry rules are met

2. Start tour A

3. Upon finishing, it shows either a banner or the bot in the chat and waits for user input

4. Start tour B

5. Finish series

At the moment, when I finish one of the steps from above, it doesn't trigger the next step. It does trigger the next step once I refresh the page, but I want it to trigger instantly after the previous step (without having to reload the page). It seems like a bug.

icon

Best answer by Sam v 15 December 2020, 10:46

View original

6 replies

Badge

@sam v​ , Have you tried to do something like this:

Entry Rule -> Start Tour A -> In-App Chat / Post -> Tag : TourADone

Entry Rule (Tag : TourADone) -> Start Tour B

@roy s11​ The solution you mentioned above is nice in theory, but it doesn't fix my problem since I still need to reload/refresh the page before the Tag is added to the user. It seems like no matter what Message/Event is in my Series, I have to reload the page in order to trigger the next step in the sequence. This completely breaks the flow of my Series. I am expecting that every Message/Event triggers the next one by themselves and in my Series it looks like this is supposed to happen as well.

(I'm talking about the When matched, When delivered, and When reacted etc.)

EXAMPLE:

Screenshot 2020-11-30 at 2.52.35 PMIf you look at the screenshot above: I need to refresh the page at each red highlighted box in order for the next Message/Event to trigger.

Badge

With some development skills, you can reach this goal. 

1. Launch Product tour via URL, in the last step you can redirect users to next product tour URL. More info here.

2. Once the product tour will be ended you can refresh the app or launch the next product tour via Button.

3. Use Intercom javascript API to trigger tour. More info here

You can also request this feature in @Product Wishlist​ Group.

@roy s11​,

I've made a video recording to make sure my post doesn't get misunderstood. You can watch the recording for more clarity:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18_JztsXWS-J6spPKZtTerfiMYyofAQ_S/view?usp=sharing

And these are the corresponding Events/Messages in my Series:

Firstpartofseries

Badge

Hello @sam v​ , Yes, once a once product tour get's over, Intercom need refresh to start a new one. You can request or report this to @Product Wishlist​ or maybe directly to customer support.

But on the other side, such endless product tours get a really bad user experience.

I'm still suggesting build something like this and use buttons to launch the product tour:

producttourMaybe one day, Intercom also offers such a solution inside the messenger.

@roy s11​ I want it to feel like 1 single Tour, but still ask questions with a Bot, and add Tags to users at certain moments in the Series. With just Product Tours, this can't be done.