Answered

How can I test my custom button that 'should' start a tour in my local environment

• 30 November 2020
  • 9 replies

Hi All! I'm trying to create a button that starts a tour via the Intercom('startTour', 123); method. How can I test this without having to deploy to production first? Currently I'm only getting a 403 'This domain has not been whitelisted for the Intercom app defined in the JavaScript snippet.' I've added both 0.0.0.0 and 127.0.0.1 to my trusted sites

icon

Best answer by Roy 1 December 2020, 20:34

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello @thomas n12​ , To test it you need to create a product tour in Intercom, then grub a tour ID. If you currently don't have any active Intercom workspace, you can always create a free developer workspace in Intercom.

More information about developer workspace - Here

Creating a developer workspace - Here

Developer workspace have some limitations:

• No outbound emailing or push notifications.
  • Help Center Sites that can never be set live.
  • A watermarked Messenger, showing that it's linked to a Developer Workspace.
  • A maximum of 20 users/leads (if you have more than 20 users/leads, the oldest extras will be archived automatically on a regular basis).

Hope this will be helpful, have a lovely day 😊

Hi Roy,

Thanks for the answer! I do have an active workspace with the product-tours addon. I also have a product tour ID that i'm trying this out with, but as the error mentions 'This domain has not been whitelisted for the Intercom app defined in the JavaScript snippet.', I don't think it has to do with that?

Userlevel 1
Badge

@thomas n12​ , Can you check if your domain is on a trusted domain list?

Do this:

- Go to https://app.intercom.io/a/apps/_/messenger

- Set your controls -> Keep your Messenger secure -> List your trusted domains

More information about the trusted domain and messenger security can be found in this article

Like stated in my original question, I have both 0.0.0.0 and 127.0.0.1 listed as trusted domains

Userlevel 1
Badge

@thomas n12​ , Sorry missed that, when you starting a test conversation with your support team, what domain do see in Intercom?

I never launched a product tour from Localhost, even don't know if this supported :/ 

You can get a test domain and try from there or the best way will be to contact Intercom support.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@thomas n12​ , Please also start a test conversation from Intercom and take a look at recent page views (What address is listed there?):

recentpage

I unfortunately can't start a test conversation as the Intercom bubble in the bottom right corner does not appear because of the 403 error

Userlevel 1
Badge

@thomas n12​ , It seems the problem with the Trust domain, leave this field empty and try again okay? 

This will allow your Intercom messenger to work on any domain name.

P.S I'm still suggesting to contact Intercom support about this case directly.

This has indeed worked. Guess there's a bug in the trusted domains functionality on Intercom's side. I now get the following error when trying to launch a tour by clicking a button: {"type":"error.list","request_id":"0006i88jjvmslu7rt3rg","errors":[{"code":"not_found","message":"Resource Not Found"}]}