Answered

Intercom and PagerDuty Integration (via Zapier) question

• 1 December 2020
  • 3 replies

We use Intercom for Support and PagerDuty for Engineering escalations. I would like to set up a Zap (in Zapier) that triggers when we add a specific tag (ie; Escalation) to a conversation - which would find the on call person. Based on my digging, it looks like there was a bug about 7 months ago that prevented the Intercom API from using the Zapier filters to select a specific tag. Is this resolved (not sure where the bug was)? I noticed an older article here https://www.intercom.com/blog/rapid-response-how-we-developed-an-on-call-team-at-intercom/ that says Intercom uses PagerDuty for their on-call escalations - how do they do that?

icon

Best answer by Nathan Sudds 3 December 2020, 11:30

View original

3 replies

I've never tried setting up something like this personally, but I would guess this would be possible setting up an Intercom webhook for "conversation_part.tag.created" (https://developers.intercom.com/building-apps/docs/webhook-model and have that sent to Zapier. If there is a bug with the Zapier native "Tag Added to Conversation" β€” then perhaps the webhook set up would be more reliable?

Β 

I guess the question is, what do you intend to do with the conversation once it's tagged and you have that data in Zapier? Would you then use Zapier to send a message to PagerDuty? I'm guessing you could get the conversation ID from the Intercom webhook and provide a direct link to the Intercom conversation from PagerDuty?

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

I'm using Pager Duty as well but the Zapier integration is quite problematic, I've had to work around a few things.

If it's crucial to be able to do something based on adding a tag, I'd recommend checking out automate.io instead they have a more robust option for this but you need to be on a paid plan to access it because you need a two tiered action..

​

Happy to chat about it if I can be helpful, right now I'm using keywords in an email because the tagging features aren't working as expected with Zapier and I was able to find a work around that fit our needs.

​

Hope that helps​

Similar problem here. I want to set Zapier up so that when I tag a conversation as "Bug Report" in Intercom, a new item is added to our Bug tracking board in Monday.com. Without the ability to pull in the name/type of tag through the API to filter the zap for just the "Bug Report" tags, we're SOL. Any chance there's a fix coming soon on this, Intercom team?

Β