Answered

What does "Replies sent to a custom email address won't get routed into your Intercom inbox" just below our "Reply to" email address mean?

• 7 December 2020
  • 8 replies

If the custom address has been added to our addresses & domains in the Intercom settings, does this mean the reply would come to us through intercom?

If so, great! If not, what do I need to do to make sure we do get the reply through intercom? We've been receiving all of our replies so far by using this email address!

Thanks for any help you can give us!

icon

Best answer by Roy 8 December 2020, 02:45

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello @cris m11​ , Let me try to help here.

If I get you correctly:

1. You are planning to add the custom email address to Intercom, Let's say: offers@mycompany.com;

2. Once the customer sends a reply to you, it's should come to Intercom inbox. Is that correct?

In this case, you should first add a custom e-mail address to the Intercom - Instructions (Option 2: Use a custom email address)

Once done, you should forward this e-mail to your Intercom address - Instructions

Hope this helps @cris m11​ , If you need any help just let me know.

Hi @roy s11​ , thanks for your quick reply!

For your first point: I already did that, and your second point: yes.

The help@company.com email has already been added to our addresses and domains, and replies have been forwarded to us via Intercom perfectly until now.

I'm just confused because even though all of that was already set up, I still got the message "Replies sent to a custom email address won't get routed into your Intercom inbox" appear.

Maybe the message is there even if everything is in place, as a general warning message? Or is it because I need to do something else?

I'm attaching a screenshot for you to see.

Thanks again!

Cris

Userlevel 1
Badge

@cris m11​ , It looks like you found a bug here @Intercom Bug Reports​ .

If you set-up the forwarding and it's working fine - This text should not be there. I think it's just a warning for but there nothing about forwarding (Like - To Set-up this, you should forward this address as well). 

Hope someone from Intercom team replies you here.

Thanks for your help so far @roy s11​ !

Userlevel 1

Hey @cris m11​ @roy s11​ - this isn't a bug, but the wording of this warning could possibly be a little clearer.

It's correct in that replies send to a custom address won't get automatically routed to your Intercom inbox, unless you have taken the extra step of setting up email forwarding.

I can appreciate that the wording is slightly ambiguous here! I'm happy to pass on this feedback to our product team for you both.

Thanks for clearing that up @eric f11​ !

Hey @roy s11​ & @eric f11​ I'm trying to understand the above, as I have a similar question.

What I'm wanting to understand is if I want our onboarding emails to come from a Custom Address (to improve deliverability) but the replies to go to the teammate's Intercom email address (so all replies are captured within Intercom) why do I need to set up forwarding as well? It seems that I can add a custom address as the sender, and the reply address as the Intercom user, so am I missing something?

We have someone in the company who manages the Conversations Inbox, so we just want to ensure if we make the switch to a Custom Address as the sender now, that we can still route all the replies back into Intercom.

Your help and advice is much appreciated!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello @joe d12​ ,

Once you add a custom domain let's say - Welcome@domain.com, you can send outbound emails from the following address.

During creating outbound email's in Intercom, you can also define reply to e-mail as well, that works like this:

Sender - Welcome@domain.com

Reply to - Will be a different e-mail.

However, still, if some customers send a new e-mail to welcome@domain.com that will not go to the Intercom inbox. That's why a good way to do this enable forwarding for welcome@domain.com as well.

It really depends on your use case 😊