Answered

What is the best way to route different types of customers to different levels of chat service?

• 10 December 2020
  • 2 replies

We would like to segment our users into two groups, one that receives real time chat support and one that has more automation and a longer response time so that we don't have to monitor all of our customer inquiries at all times. We'd like to take advantage of intercom's resolution bots and article inserter features for the second group.

Does anyone have suggestions for the best way to handle/route these two groups?

The options we have explored are the following:

1. Hide the intercom chat bubble entirely for users in the second group and add a link to our help center in the app.
  • Down side of this is that they don't get all of the other intercom features like featured articles etc. and we would have to set up some sort of ticketing/email system for their support requests
  1. Apply a rule to route users to differing teams in the inbox, one that we monitor constantly and one that we respond to daily.
  • Is there a way to showing differing "typical reply times" to the different groups?
    • Can we turn on the article inserter for just the second group?

Does anyone have any other suggestions or best practices? I am leaning towards the second option at the moment but would like some feedback on if that would be effective if anyone has tried it.

icon

Best answer by Kevin Bendixen 11 December 2020, 09:48

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

@rosie​  My first thought is tagging the second group and using that tag as a filter for the resolution bot answers. That way only those customers will be handled by the bot. You can then set up the task bot to ask a few questions and then send those messages to different inboxes. I don't know if it's possible to show different response times though.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-11 um 09.45.16

I got the following answer from Intercom support as well which I think would be the best solution for me so I wanted to add the response here for the community:

I do have another solution that might work for your use-case, but it would require a subscription to Custom Bots

I'll run through it below...

You could create a Custom Bot from new conversations that will activate only for a specific segment of users - you could filter by user tag as suggested in the post, but I would recommend sending in a custom attribute instead so it would be more automated (user tags must be manually added, custom attributes are based on the data sent into Intercom from your website's backend):

Filtering by custom attribute:

From there, you can have the Custom Bot suggest specific Articles to the User based on the specific path they selected via Article Inserter in the bot reply like so:

Adding the Article via Article Inserter

If you're interested, you can even add Resolution Bot as a follow-up action after that Custom Bot bot reply as well (would require a subscription to Resolution Bot)

You can even create different custom bots that suggest different articles based on subscription, again you would filter by user tag, custom attribute, or segment. So in that case, each Custom Bot would target and respond to different groups of users.