Answered

How can I set up a birthday event for my users to trigger a birthday greeting auto-message?

• 18 December 2020
  • 8 replies

How can I set up a birthday greeting from a birthday "event" or "attribute" we will sync from our database. Is there any way to check matching month and day (as year will obviously be past)?

icon

Best answer by Roy 18 December 2020, 12:57

View original

8 replies

Badge

Hello @joan r​ , That's a good question, here's the solution.

1) The day when the customer will have a birthday you should send a "Birthday" event to Intercom.

2) Then go to Outgoing messages and write the birthday message:

birthday3) Then set-up the following rules:

birthday-2Who will receive this - Users -> Selec the Birthday event -> last occurred -> exactly 0 Days ago

birthday-3 

💬 Hope this will be helpful, let me know if you have any further questions.

Badge

With these rules, once you send an event Birthday to Intercom, an outgoing message will be sent to the customer.

@roy s11​ If i understand the question correctly what @joan r​ is asking for is to trigger events within intercom on dates.

What you are saying that it is not possible, but you have to yourself trigger an event called birthday that then sends it.

This could most likely be done through Zapier or google scripting https://spreadsheet.dev/birthday-reminder-app-using-google-sheets/p>

Badge

@david p13​ , The question was about sending a birthday message via data attributes or events.

Q - What you are saying that it is not possible, but you have to yourself trigger an event called birthday that then sends it.

A - It's fully possible without any Zapier integration if your system will send an intercom event on the birthday date.

In my way, it's can be done without any third part integration, just need to send the event via API.

Ok, then I misread it, since I do not understand the question on month and date if you send an event via api, then date should be of no importance within Intercom?

Probably me missing the point :)

Badge

@david p13​ , "event" or "attribute" - In the case of the data attribute, you are sending Intercom data about the users (Such as Birthday date).

To trigger a Birthday greeting message, the best way will be to send an event to Intercom on the birthday date from your platform via API.

(This is the best way).

In the case of data attributes, you should use third-party integrations. If you have too many users or your database starts to grow this solution soon required to be replaced.

Badge

🎉 Good news guys!

Now in Intercom, it's possible to send repeatable messages based on events. This is a good use case for Birthday auto-message:

Event Birthday 

More information about this can be found here.

@joan r​ 

🎉 Good news guys!

Now in Intercom, it's possible to send repeatable messages based on events. This is a good use case for Birthday auto-message:

Event Birthday 

More information about this can be found here.

@joan r​ 

Hi Roy, 

Thanks for recommending the solution. For us, it will only work if user opens up the mobile app on their birthday and we manage to trigger an event.
Is there any other way we can automate this without depending on event trigger?