Why is my Inbox app throwing a generic error message on the conversation sidebar?

• 4 January 2021
  • 6 replies

I created an intercom app and installed it on my workspace. The app working well in inbox. However on the right side, I am getting an error like the given screenshot

Something went wrong If this problem persists, try contacting the developer of this app for help and support . Can you please help me as to why this error occurs and what do i need to do to fix this.?

6 replies

Hi @eric f11​  Can you please help me with this issue?

Userlevel 1

Hey @virat​, I've edited your initial post to remove your screenshot as it exposed an email address.

The generic error message would suggest that something is wrong with how you've built your app. Are you getting any error messages in the browser console when this is displayed?

Hi @eric f11​  This is what i found on the console. Kindly refer to attached screenshot. As per my understanding of the documentation, the initialize method is called as soon as a new conversation is created or someone adds my app into to a conversation reply or when someone clicks on my app inside the inbox . On former initialize , i do not return anything , i return a canvas only when the app is clicked from inbox. Can you please guide me on what i need to return in former case. error

Userlevel 1

Thanks for sharing this, @virat​. If you click on the link to the right of the 502 error, can you share the JSON that is returned? Specifically, the `message` and `error_code` parameters are of interest here.

1. App Version: Ensure that your Inbox app is updated to the latest version, as generic error messages can sometimes be resolved by applying software updates that address compatibility issues or bugs.

2. Network Connection: Check your device's network connection to ensure it is stable and active. A disrupted connection can lead to generic error messages in messaging apps.

3. Server Status: Verify the status of the email server associated with your Inbox app. Temporary server issues or maintenance can result in error messages, impacting the conversation sidebar.

4. Clear Cache: Clear the app cache for Inbox to eliminate any temporary data that might be causing conflicts. This can be done in the app settings on your device.

5. Storage Space: Ensure that your device has sufficient storage space available. Lack of storage can affect the app's performance, leading to error messages.

6. App Permissions: Confirm that the Inbox app of apk has the necessary permissions to access your conversations and messages. Insufficient permissions may trigger generic error messages.

7. Device Reboot: Perform a reboot of your device to refresh system processes. This can resolve minor glitches that may be contributing to the error.

8. Check for Updates: Verify if there are any pending updates for the operating system on your device. Outdated system software can impact app performance.

9. App Integrity: If the issue persists, uninstall and reinstall the Inbox app. This ensures a clean installation, eliminating any corrupted app files that might be causing the error.

10. AAAD APK Consideration: If you have recently installed or interacted with Android Auto Apps Downloader (AAAD) or other apk files, review their impact on system resources and app behavior, as third-party installations can sometimes affect app

Really interesting troubleshooting steps mentioned here! Has anyone checked if there's a specific pattern or action triggering this error? Sometimes, it's the little things we overlook that are the culprits.