Answered

Can we set to always show the messenger with a white / grey background?

• 11 February 2021
  • 19 replies

Sometimes the messenger appears with a transparent background, blending the messages with the content of the page that we are at. Can we set to always show the messenger with a white / grey background?

icon

Best answer by Keerthi 11 February 2021, 18:41

View original

19 replies

Badge +3

Are you referring to the borderless view? https://www.intercom.com/help/en/articles/56375-when-do-borderless-conversations-appear/p>

I believe they do, and the article doesn't help. How do I disable the borderless view and set a badge or a snippet view by default for all messages?

Our clients are submitting bug reports that our chat is "broken" because the background disappeared and the content that is behind the chat is now intermingling with the chat. It looks like a hot mess. I am not sure who thought this was a good idea.

Also, the help doc that you link to does not really address the question.

It seems like that happens to Outgoing messages. I went back and forth with the intercom team on that and it seems like they don't have an option to change that. So if it's not a crucial part of your business I would disable any Outgoing messages for now, and keep hammering support untill they im​plement a toggle for it :(

Here's the pattern... if I have an inbound chat with a client and they A) minimize the chat or 😎 browse to another page in our web app, the next reply I send them spawns the "borderless" messenger. Unfortunately, there is content behind the messenger and it ends up looking broken. One work around could be to create a website without content but that makes about as much sense as the borderless messenger does.

Yeah that's a problem I have too. Some Justin from support told me that new conversation replies won't trigger the borderless view, I sent him a screenshot showing the opposite​, so he left me on "Seen" for 10 weeks ongoing, lol 💩

I am chatting with their support right now and they are continuing to press the "it's a feature" line. They keep sending links to help docs about Outgoing Messages but this, however, is not an outgoing message. I think they have a bug and are confused or not listening to our complaints.

​I had almost convinced one guy to mark it as a bug, but then he got a reply from the devs saying its not. So the devs got confused, he got confused, and got me confused.

For right now I limited chat access to 2 pages with relatively enough space for that monstrosity​, so there's that ._.

This smells like the "highest paid person's opinion" syndrome (aka HiPPO). Somebody high up in the product team thought this was a good idea and, even in the face of client complaints, they continue to espouse the "it's a feature not a bug" mantra.

It's a bug.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind if it was a toggle, and in some places it would make sense, but not for every reply, popups like that get annoying for the user. I'm also sure this is a bug because they have a message counter in the api to control such behavior (like put up a badge counter or something), and the borderless view trigger renders that useless.

I sent them a link with a reference to this conversation, maybe that'll convince them.​

I agree. We recently switched to Intercom and this may be a deal killer. It's a really bad user experience. I don't get it.

I found a workaround of sorts but it's a complete hack. If you use JS setInterval and write a method that looks for the class .intercom-borderless-frame, you can apply a css class to it:

setInterval(function () {
let iframe = document.querySelector(".intercom-borderless-frame")
if (iframe) { iframe.classList.add("intercom-bug-fix"); }  }, 1000)
}

Here is the css class that I used:

.intercom-bug-fix {
background-color: #ffffff !important;
box-shadow: 2px 3px 9px -3px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.09) !important;
border-radius: 5px !important;
border: 1px solid #eeeeee !important;
}

This is so ridiculous.

It even looks terrible in their own app

Intercom Borderless Messenger Broken 

dayumn, that would work, plus I could control Intercom appearance to match the app theme! Genius. I just wonder if that's gonna have a slight performance hit. But thanks a lot for this!​

Thank you. It's a terrible solution. I'm not afraid to write some hacky code on occasion, but this takes the cake.

Sorry, I'm not a JS guy, but is this JS code properly formatted... the brackets seem to be uneven

That code worked for me but you should definitely run it by a JS programmer before adding it to your site.

you can use this className to overwrite the broken style, forExample:

iframe.intercom-borderless-frame.intercom-otsumh.e1dl9bzv0 {
width: 500px;
background-color: #ebebeb;
box-shadow: 0 5px 10px 0 rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.08);
}