Answered

How can I improve my HC search accuracy- with keywords or tags or something- does anything exist like this?

• 17 February 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

I have customers typing Childlock and not finding an article about Child Lock. In my previous tool, I could add acceptable terms and misspelt words to apply to an article to avoid this issue.

I'd appreciate any help on this.

icon

Best answer by Keerthi 18 February 2021, 16:27

View original

7 replies

Badge +3

This is from Intercom's Help Article on Article Search

Help Center search is based on the number of times a search term appears in the title, description, and body of the article.

These locations are weighted so search terms in the title are ranked highest, then the description, and last the body. Add the keywords customers are searching for in these three places to ensure the right articles are returned first

This article might help you - https://www.intercom.com/help/en/articles/56655-give-your-customers-the-content-they-search-for/p>

Badge +1

Thanks for this, I saw that article, however, my issue (and I saw autocorrect had separated the words in my question originally) is for customers who may misspell a word, or type a common abbreviation, that we wouldn't want to include in the content of the article, as it would be inaccurate. On my old platform, we used keywords to allow for these types of searches. Maybe there are many ways of referring to the same thing, but in our article we use one word only, to avoid confusion. If a customer searches with an alternate version, they won't find the article.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

@lamint​ for cases where there might be alternative spellings (e.g. helpcenter or help center) we use a code block at the end of the article where we add those alternative spellings. Not sure how much this impacts the search though.

Badge +1

@kevin b​ Thanks for this reply. Just to understand better, have you added the code block for another reason? or did you add it to improve search success, but you're just not sure if it actually does? ie. does this sort of code block serve another purpose as well?

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

@lamint​ I added the code block specifically to add those alternative spellings. I also just did a quick A/B test with one of our articles and the search includes whatever you write in those blocks.

Badge +1

Thanks so much for the info and the quick reply! If I can ask one final question, being quite unfamiliar with the code side of things: If I do understand the idea clearly, the code block will be visible to customers correct? or is there a way to make it not visible? I'd like to give it a try.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

@lamint​ Exactly, the code block will be visible for the reader. It's just another element that Intercom Articles provide