Answered

Help troubleshooting setting up Google Tag Manager with User ID

• 18 February 2021
  • 8 replies

Hi, I'm Reed,

I can user GTM to set up intercom to work using the logged out users method. This also works when users are logged in. In both cases the messenger loads as expected.

But when I try to set it up designating the User ID, the messenger doesn't load.

Looking at the GTM preview, the Tag Details show the firing status is Succeeded, and the User ID is what I expected, as is the Workspace ID.

Firing Triggers is Window Loaded Trigger

By the way, I'm using a Dev account to test this before loading on our live site.

I've also tried using a custom javascript method to convert the User ID to an integer. Again the preview Tag Details shows the same results except this time the User ID is an integer (as planned.)

Does this work? or is our only option to use an email? We'd rather not. But if we must is it possible to use the identity verification w/ GTM?

Thanks in advance...

icon

Best answer by Reed 19 February 2021, 01:36

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @reed​ , I think you just incorrectly sending UserId to Intercom through the GTM.

GtmPreviewDebugI appreciate you getting back to me.

Here's a grab of the GTM preview Debug screen. Not worried about the workspace id as it's for my Dev intercom acct. The User ID is what I expect it to be.

~Reed

Please see the answer I posted to this same conversation. (I should have hit reply)

Userlevel 1
Badge

Reed, is this user already logged-in? As I remember you should use the Install method and then Update method (Provide User_ID or e-Mail) once the user makes a log-in.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@reed​ 

Hi Roy, thanks again for your help. I tried using 2 tags, the one with the Install method 1st (workspace id and no User Id), then one with Update (with both the workspace ID and the User Id.) Sequencing is set so that the Update tag fires after the Install. The preview shows all the right values for each. Still, the messenger does not load.

And, I used tag sequencing to so that the Update tag fires after the Install tag...

Turns out I'd had my Identity Verification setting on! (Pilot error - I was playing with that at first before deciding not to use it.)

Roy (thanks btw) also pointed out that the install has to fire before the update. I ended up saving the install with no trigger, triggering the update with Window Loaded Trigger, then in advanced, sequencing firing the install tag before the update tag.