Answered

Is there a way to convert a user back into a lead via the API?

• 23 February 2021
  • 3 replies

There are certain occasions I need to remove a user account in our platform but would love the option to keep that person's chat history with us in Intercom. They may no longer have a user ID in our own app, but their email would still remain the same. Right now, we archive the user in these scenarios, but that's not quite ideal because they just sort of "disappear" from Intercom. It would be great instead to just demote them from a user back into a lead. This would also allow for the ability to convert them back into a user should they rejoin our platform. Is something like this possible with through the API?

icon

Best answer by Roy 24 February 2021, 05:52

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello @chris d​ , I don't think that this is a good idea to transfer users back into a lead.

This can cause some privacy problems, if user closes account and rejoins from the same e-mail but for a different organization. It's possible that they see previous conversations.

Userlevel 1
Badge

You can request this feature in @Product Wishlist​ group.

Thanks for the response @roy s11​ !

If I delete the user on our end and they rejoin, they'll be assigned a new user ID even if their email is the same. Do you know if that will relink and/or unarchive the same Intercom user—or since I'm attaching with a different user ID, will it create a new Intercom user?