• 23 February 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

Hello,

I have created a Zap to do the following:

1) User creates Calendly appointment

2) Filter: Calendly appointment must have X event name

3) Lead is created in Intercom

However, when I then sign up properly on our side, it is creating a separate user despite the emails being the same and we have then have a lead and a user both with the same email. Is there something we are doing wrong?

icon

Best answer by Roy 24 February 2021, 05:39

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @jessica w11​ , I hope you are doing well.

If I get this correctly, the flow looks like this:

- User books a Calendly Appointment;

- Zapier <> Intercom - Lead is created;

- Once you sign-up the customer getting 2 users (Lead,User)

Is it correct? In this case you should use to API merge lead and user profile or update lead to user.

More information can be found here:

- Merge profiles

- Update lead to user via API

Badge +1

Hi @roy s11​ yes exactly that! We have had leads sign up and automatically convert to users before though and it has worked correctly - is there anything I should be considering as to why this situation might be different?

I wonder about the same. Why isn't it merging automatically and allows that the exact same email lives twice in the system.

How Intercom handles Users and Leads is a nightmare. Same is for filtering which is only possible for either Users or Leads. Cannot show both in one list. Guys, you can do better! Do I really need to setup a Zap to do the merge for me?

Badge +1

@tom s13​ We have the same issue with the filtering too!

Slightly off topic but do you know how to use Zap to merge a Lead and User? I can see the option to update the User with the Lead's details (which is my current workaround) but nothing to then delete the Lead.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@jessica w11​ , If lead sign-up into your product Intercom converts them from lead to the user (Cause the cookie file).

If you manually sign-up a user that does not work, In this case, you should Merge profile or use API.

=================

When a person visits your website in a logged-out state, they’re given an Intercom cookie to uniquely identify them. Once they start a conversation or reply to a message, they become a lead. 

If they log in or sign up to your product while the Intercom cookie is present, their lead profile will be automatically merged with their user profile. 

=================

I hope this will be helpful. Let me know if you have any further questions about this topic.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@jessica w11​ , It's not possible to merge lead/user via Zapier. You can do this using Integromat, Take a look at my reply here.

Let me know if you have any questions about this topic, will be happy to help.