Answered

How does Intercom attribute values for UTM parameters?

• 23 February 2021
  • 5 replies

Attribution model of utm parameters.

Hi, my company runs campaigns on several networks (Facebook, Google Ads and others) and uses the utm fields in Intercom for tracking and reporting purposes. We'd like to know how the attribution model works.

Is the attribution model first click, last click, or something else? If I see a contact came from utm_source: Facebook, does it mean they registered after clicking on a Facebook ad? Or was the FB ad the first touchpoint and maybe they registered after clicking on a Google Search ad?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Best,

Carlotta

icon

Best answer by Eric Fitz 24 February 2021, 16:44

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello @carlotta​ Carlotta, I don't get your question, can you be a more specific?

If you want to track registration sources by UTM, you should use GTM for that.

More information on that can be found here.

Userlevel 1

Hey @carlotta​ Carlotta, the UTM attribution is done based on the values you set for UTM parameters in a link. Intercom doesn't attribute UTM values based on other page actions, only on the values included in a URL.

Hi, I understand! will look into GTM. Thanks a lot for your quick replies!

@eric f11​ I believe I have the same question but let me rephrase it to clarify, and also expand on it a bit to better understand what level of UTM tracking Intercom offers...

1. With regard to first click or last click, what we need to know is whether Intercom overwrites previously-stored UTM parameters. If it only stores them once, then they are "first click". If it overwrites them each time a page is visited with different UTM parameters, then they are "last click". I believe the answer is first click, but it would be great if you could confirm that Intercom does NOT overwrite the UTM parameter once stored.
  2. Can you shed some light on how Intercom attaches UTM parameters that were first encountered by a visitor to a user when they later register? I assume a cookie is used to tie the visitor to the user and then the visitor data is used to populate the values for the user? If so are you able to tie together that data across sessions? Across domains/subdomains (assuming same intercom id)? We are seeing mixed results with UTM params sometimes making it through to the user and sometimes not and are trying to understand why.
  3. Any plans for cookieless tracking (ie server-side) given that cookies are going away?
Userlevel 1

Hey @sean o​, to answer your questions;

1. UTM parameters are "last click" in Intercom.
  2. A visitor/lead profile will only merge with a user profile when the visitor/lead logs in as a user on the same cookie/session. This will port over any data associated with the visitor profile, too.
  3. Not something that's currently planned, but I'd be very surprised if we didn't implement this eventually, given which way the wind is blowing.