Answered

Crash with ShimmerFrameLayout

• 24 March 2021
  • 7 replies

Some of our users are getting this error:

ShimmerFrameLayout.java line 157

com.facebook.shimmer.ShimmerFrameLayout.dispatchDraw

Fatal Exception: java.lang.RuntimeException

Canvas: trying to draw too large(108387312bytes) bitmap.

keyboard_arrow_up

android.graphics.RecordingCanvas.throwIfCannotDraw (RecordingCanvas.java:280)

arrow_drop_down

android.view.ViewGroup.dispatchDraw (ViewGroup.java:4152)

arrow_right

com.facebook.shimmer.ShimmerFrameLayout.dispatchDraw (ShimmerFrameLayout.java:157)

android.view.View.draw (View.java:21485)

arrow_drop_down

com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main (ZygoteInit.java:941)

This happens with Intercom.client().displayMessenger()

icon

Best answer by Eric Fitz 14 April 2021, 13:50

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 1

Hey @tech t11​, I'm looking into this for you now and I'll let you know what I find. Just to clarify, are you trying to draw a 108MB canvas?

Userlevel 1

When you say "some of your users" are there any commonalities between these users? (device etc.) Are you able to replicate this issue on your end?

Hey Eric, thanks for the reply. Actually I don't see a pattern between the users anything else but the API 10. We send a message to the user, them try to open Intercom with displayMessenger() and get the error. It's very frustrating because the try many times and it's always the same error and the app crashes.

Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 11.07.36 PMUser tried to open Intercom and got the error 1 time

Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 11.07.43 PMUser tried to open Intercom and got the error 20 times in 4 days

Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 11.17.11 PMUser tried to open Intercom and got the error 4 times in 4 days

Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 11.17.49 PMUser got the error 30 times in 2 days

Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 11.18.19 PMUser tried to open Intercom and got the error 9 times in 2 days

The error is always there until it disappears. I mean, when a user has the error, the user can try many times and always gets the error. Some users try it multiple times over a couple of days and all of a sudden the error goes away. Let me know if you would like to see this better, maybe in a video call or some other way.

It just happened to another user, he tried to open Intercom.client().displayMessenger() and it crashed 22 times!

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 1.10.54 AM

Userlevel 1

Hey @tech t11​, to come back to an earlier question, are you trying to draw a 108MB canvas on boot? This is a question from our engineers to help debug this issue.

Hi, not really. We have a conversation with the user, there are some gifs and screenshots in the chat. There was not problem, messages coming from both ways, our team sent a message with only text, after that the user couldn't open that chat again. I have the conversation, if this can help.

Userlevel 1

I'd recommend that you contact our Support team directly through the Messenger on app.intercom.com about this. It seems like an issue that's specific to your configuration, so you'd need to share crash logs, a link to the conversation and some of the users affected.