Answered

How can I restrict the Help Center to my users without requiring them to log in?

• 30 March 2021
  • 4 replies

Hello,

we want to display a link to the Help Center on our web page so a user can click on it when he/she wants. In the same time we want to restrict the access to articles only for Users (logged in ones), without asking them again to login on Help Center page. How can we pass the login information to Help Center in this case, when Help Center is not accessed through the Messenger?

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by Eric Fitz 1 April 2021, 11:00

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 1

Hey @mykhaylo​, firstly, you'll need to ensure that you have set up a custom domain and cookie forwarding for your Help Center. Your Help Center domain should act as a sub-domain of your app's main domain (for example, if your site is www.company.com, your Help Center's custom URL should be help.company.com or similar).

You will also need to ensure that your instance of the Intercom Messenger is installed across your site/app to track logged-in users.

Once you've done this, in the Keep your Help Center private section of the Help Center settings, you'll be asked to specify a URL at which your users should log in. You can specify your app/site's login page here.

If you've set it up like this, once your users log in via your main site, the cookie that tracks them as a user in Intercom on your site/app will persist to the Help Center, allowing them to view articles that you've restricted to users without requiring a further login.

thanks for the answer @eric f11​ 

If we install the Messenger but we'll make it invisible on our webpage, will the login info be tracked anyway and passed to Help Center? As I understood from the article https://www.intercom.com/help/en/articles/189-turn-off-show-or-hide-the-intercom-messenger , we can configure a Messenger to be visible based on the current page URL, so if it is not the help page, Messenger would be invisible and if it is a help page, the Messenger could be visible again, right? What are the capabilities of page URL matching? Does it supports regex definitions, for example, "page is *help.company.com*", meaning, page is anything under the domain help.company.com ?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

The visibility of the messenger launcher does not impact the tracking. So, yes, they will be recognized as logged-in user. You do not need to set the launcher to be visible on the Help Center either.

As for URL related rules, it does not support regex (it's built for marketing/support guys and girls, not for devs 😁 ) but there are functions such as:

Screenshot 2021-04-02 000928 

So in your cases:

Thanks for answers @user382​ @eric f11​ 

I tested it, all looks good. Login data is transferred from the page where Messenger is installed but invisible to the Help Center site.