Answered

Is it possible to start out a tour programmatically if the tour is defined inside a series?

• 5 April 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi! I'm able to start tours using its corresponding URL:

Ex: https://mydomain.com/page?product_tour_id=***

and using a JavaScript call too:

Intercom('startTour', ***);

Nevertheless, if the tour is part of a series, it seems that it doesn't work.

In the JS Console I see a network call to:

POST https://api-iam.intercom.io/messenger/web/tours/***/fetch

but the response is 404 - Not Found. Is it possible to start out a tour programmatically if the tour is defined inside a series? Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Milan 6 April 2021, 00:27

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello @adrián​ 👋, Happy Easter 🐰

If the tour is part of a series it's not possible to launch via JS call "(Intercom('startTour', ***);"

Series is an orchestration of different kinds of engagement actions that are triggering automatically.

Might I ask why you want to launch a product tour that is a part of a series via JS call?

Hello, @roy s11​ , Thanks for the answer, and Happy Easter too!!

The scenario here is that we have a tour that is part of the series that engage the user to continue the onboarding process. But, on the other side, in the application, we have a TODO task list that user can see, and the idea was that we could start the same tours from this list, inside the app. If we can't start this tours programmatically, we will not have another option that to duplicate the same tours outside the series.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Duplicating and setting it to run only on JS trigger is the only way to go. The only setback is that you would need to maintain two versions, but on the other hand, you'll have split data so you'll know what is a more effective way of using Tours - automatically in the Series OR through manual trigger by the user. So I would split it even if it can be triggered from within the Series 🙂

I believe in a user self-paced onboarding that they can reach out to any time, rather than on something pushed automatically.

At least that's my experience with Digital Adoption Platforms (and I've worked with most of the top ones).