Problem with away status

• 6 April 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
  • Expert User
  • 1152 replies

Hi 👋

Based on Intercom documentation: "If a teammate has been inactive in Intercom for over 5 minutes, they'll appear as 'away'"

However, in our case, even after 30-40 minutes of inactivity, the teammate status not setting on Away.

During Auto Assignment, team member status is quite important. That's why I requested a feature that would control the working hours and automatically set the Away status.

But before this feature becomes available, why does automatic Away status not working?

icon

Best answer by Eric Fitz 9 April 2021, 11:28

View original

7 replies

Badge +1

I can reproduce this. I'm not sure if it is something to do with the mobile app overriding the timeout. It's sometimes very overwhelming to come back from lunch or a task and realizing you weren't on away.

Userlevel 1

Hey @roy s11​, as @user1030​ mentioned, are the teammates affected here also using our Conversations app?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @eric f11​ , Nope, They are accessing Intercom from the Web (https://app.intercom.com/.

This only works when users using Intercom mobile app?

Cause in Intercom help center, there nothing said about this (https://www.intercom.com/help/en/articles/732458-automatically-reassign-conversations-when-you-re-away.

away

Userlevel 1

Hey Roy, the definition of "inactivity" here is actually quite specific - if a teammate does not have the Intercom web app open in any browser tab for more than five minutes, that is when we will classify them automatically as "away".

However, this raises a different issue in terms of auto assignment. In order for a teammate to be excluded from auto assignment, they must manually apply away mode themselves (or have this done for them on the Teammates page).

This leaves us with two main issues to tackle.

1. Are your teammates "inactive" in the sense that they do not have Intercom open in any browser tab, or have they just stepped away from their devices?
  2. Changing auto assignment based on automatically assigning away mode is, as you rightly pointed out, a feature request, so I'm going to tag in the @Product Wishlist​ group here.
Badge +1

Ah! That makes more sense. Thanks for the clarification, Eric.

Automatically changing users to away mode would be something useful!

Userlevel 1
Badge

@eric f11​ , I have users that are not signed in for 2 months, but the status is still showing Active.

Just wanted to say that status in Intercom not working properly.

I agree about Feature request, would also be good to schedule employee shifts and use this to automatically switch to away status.

Thank you 🙌

Userlevel 1

@roy s11​, that's so weird! This is the kind of investigation that would require checking logs, so I'd recommend that you contact our Support team directly about this one to share examples so that they can check "under the hood".