Answered

Are hyphenated words searchable?

We have a feature called a "To-do list" and my top Search Terms with No Result include "todo" "to-do" and "todos". When I search for "to-dos" I see in the search results that only "do" is highlighted. Are hyphens treated as whitespace, and "to" excluded due to being a common word?

I see other posts requesting a hidden keyword feature or hashtags, I think that might help this situation but it also seems that since this is such a short word with a hyphen that it is difficult to find.

icon

Best answer by Sam 8 April 2021, 16:50

View original

2 replies

Badge +1

I'm not sure they are searchable. 😔 This is something I'd personally love to see as I know I have a few conversations that I'd like to be able to search for with hypens in.

You could try using Topics to group these conversations, and then have your teammates label with the topic manually inside of the Inbox.

​

🔗 Information on Topics: https://www.intercom.com/help/en/articles/4612191-track-and-understand-the-topics-your-customers-chat-about

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

@jason a​ That's a great finding. I actually tried this in our help center. We use the German terms "Soll-Stunden" and "Ist-Stunden", searching for either of those shows similar articles in the results. Writing it as one word or as two words without the hyphen also doesn't produce better results.

@Product Wishlist​ I would love to see some improvements in the articles search.