Answered

Can I build my own Messenger UI using Intercom's API?

Building a custom messenger UI on top of the Intercom API. Are there developers with similar experience to share feedback? Limitations and difficulties?

icon

Best answer by Sam 9 April 2021, 17:36

View original

13 replies

Badge +1

Welcome to Interconnected!

It is possible, but you may miss out on some incredibly useful features of the messenger, so yes, there are some limitations.

• You will need to handle apps inserted into the messenger and conversations.
  • You will miss out on a lot of the features offered by Operator.
  • You will not receive read receipts.

I'm interested in your specific use case here. Are you looking to hide the Messenger Launcher? Does the Intercom messenger UI not align with your site? If you're looking to hide the Messenger Launcher, you can toggle the "Show the Messenger launcher" setting, pictured below.

chrome_9ZMqiBcOGh 

You can then use the Javascript API to show the widget on a button click in your app using Intercom('show'); . Notion has a nice implementation of this in their app, pictured below.

chrome_XlpUbXk4JU 

If you still want to use the Conversations section of the API, such as retrieving a conversation, and replying.

Happy to provide additional assistance if needed.

Thanks a lot for your welcome message and your answer!

My specific use case is that we have one intercom workspace per country (3 countries), we have one mobile app per country, and we would like to merge our mobile apps into one, but the mobile SDK does not allow to use connect 3 different workspaces on a single mobile app. So I'm investigating alternatives.

What would you do in this situation?

Badge +1

More than welcome!

I'm not 100% sure on the inner workings of the SDK, however, would it not be possible to change the App ID dynamically based on their country, thus only initializing the correct widget?

According to a support engineer of intercom, it's not possible to change the App ID dynamically. Our app would need to be able to update the App id dynamically as the user should be able to change the country they are in.

Badge +1

It’s likely not possible to achieve this then I’m afraid, and you may have to use an API style approach.

🙏

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @jean b​ 👋,

Q - What would you do in this situation?

A - You should merge workspace data and make one Intercom workspace. Then set up assignment rules to forward incoming conversation to the right department.

It's a bad idea to build custom messenger for this case, also this will take lot's of time and development.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@jean b​ , Having 3 workspace also not cost effective, cause you are paying Intercom subscribe fee X3 Times 😕

Your main task is to combine all data into one workspace and then set up assignment, segmentation rules.

Let me know if you have questions about this case, I will be more than happy to help.

Thanks Roy for your answer. We've considered carefully this option and it has tons of operational consequences.

Actually, because the billing is by seat, this is not true in our case. It would actually increase a lot the pricing as we would need to upgrade our plan to use some segmentation features we don't have access to.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@jean b​ , If your project is oriented to growth and scale, it's a best option in your case.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@jean b​ , Afraid not, Intercom charges per subscription like:

FeatureSo you are paying Subscription cost 3 Times. If your company decides to use any additional features, you will pay this cost 3 times.

During one workspace, you are paying subscription cost one time + MAU + Seats.

Right now: Subscribe + MAU + Seats / Subscribe + MAU + Seats / Subscribe + MAU + Seats

Userlevel 1
Badge

@jean b​ , If you can tell me a bit more about your operations, I will be happy to help you to migrate all data in one workspace.