Answered

Labels For Custom Attributes in UI

• 9 April 2021
  • 4 replies

Despite there is a dedicated property in data attribute object model, called 'label' which is supposed to provide a value for the custom attribute to be displayed in UI, looks it does not work. Even after I send a request to create a new property with some name in 'label' field, a property will be shown just as specified in 'name' attribute, with first letter capitalized. For example, if name=myCustomProp and label=My Custom Prop, then in UI it comes as 'Mycustomprop'. This is just not quite user friendly...

https://www.intercom.com/help/en/articles/320-tracking-user-data-in-intercom

icon

Best answer by Sam 9 April 2021, 22:33

View original

4 replies

Badge +1

I believe you can send attributes over with spaces and white space. So you could send “My Custom Prop” and it would include the spaces, vs sending it as “myCustomProp”. This would make it prettier in the UI.

@user1030​ the way I understood it, in the request to create a custom attribute there are two properties, "name", which is used to provide a name, that can be used to reference the custom attribute in programmatic context, for example, java script code, or API request. Another property is called "label", which as explained by the documentation is used to provide a user friendly label we will see in UI. The value I put in the "label" has spaces and is human readable, but instead in UI we can see the value taken from the "name" property, with first letter capitalized. It looks that the label value is ignored.

"model": "contact",

"name": "myCustomProp",

"description": "Description for my custom property",

"data_type": "string",

"label": "My Custom Property Label",

It looks like the label property is not working fine. Could you please check it out

Maybe what you send as 'label' is actually just the Description, which only shows in the data settings of the workspace?