Answered

intercom_uid in URL in a series e-mail for leads = good (but also good to know upfront) and do e-mails directed to users also have this GET var?

• 10 April 2021
  • 2 replies

Good to see the intercom_uid GET var in an URL / link in an e-mail from series. I presume this is to recognize the user/lead? I opted for this "feature" a long time ago so YEAHHH.

This is the URL that was generated in the e-mail by Intercom series: https://ikwil.graaggoedonline.nl/website-pakketten?intercom_uid=VjNiVkNiOTBRb1ZxZHNzN0NJY3ZvZVRTUVREYUZhNklFTkhHMEE1a0NkUG9NMFdQdkNwM1g5L3RHRkZGVWVSZmYzT3psNFR5R2NTc25BTDBiRTlvZFZTODFqaVVaSGJzZHRVY0o4eE5GNG9BZzNrZXBIV1o2eDlhVDYvNFlyVGYtLThaajdNZUxaV2dQaTEzL0NURHlvTGc9PQ==--427b104b9064c81e861640c853b34489df8f9c2d#website-opstartpakketten

Remarks:

• In a series page rule I entered the full URL I would presume that would be visited BUT this did not work because of the intercom_uid GET var added by Intercom 😉.
    • Note to self: always use "page URL contains" instead of a full URL but I can imagine more people make this mistake...

Questions:

• If a cookie is already set for this LEAD; which has priority: the intercom_uid GET var or the cookie (I hope the GET var ;-))?
  • Will the intercom_uid GET var also be used in mails directed to users?
    • Is so then same quesion: If a cookie is already set for this USER; which has priority: the intercom_uid GET var or the cookie (I hope the GET var ;-))?
  • Is there more to know about the intercom_uid GET var because Google can't help me here (and also no hits in this forum).

icon

Best answer by Lisa B11 8 June 2021, 16:19

View original

2 replies

Hey Jacquesss 👋

Happy to answer your questions here: 👇

If a cookie is already set for this LEAD; which has priority: the intercom_uid GET var or the cookie (I hope the GET var ;-))?

In general and across Intercom, we always identify an end-user with their Lead profile (if any) via cookie. We explain this in our article here

Will the intercom_uid GET var also be used in mails directed to users?

When tracking and identifying users, we either do this via the Messenger installation code for logged in users (matching based on 

user_id

or 

email), or using the user session cookie that would've been installed on a user's browser when they were last tracked as a logged in user.

Is there more to know about the intercom_uid GET var because Google can't help me here (and also no hits in this forum).

I'm unfamiliar with what this intercom_uid is used for; however, this wouldn't be something you would need to use for any reason, as chances are this is most likely used internally for our own system.

Hope this helps 😊

Hi Lisa,

Thanks! My hope was that a user would have been recognized (as a USER) via the intercom_uid var (in the URL) if an Intercom chat script was installed on the page it was directed to.

Because this is we're we are find that users that haven't openend our app aka do not have cookies that say that they are users click on a link in our mailing and we cannot communicate with them if it where users.

Do you have any pointers for the situation above?

Cheers,

Jacques