Answered

How to add/update title to a conversation from the intercom api

• 20 April 2021
  • 4 replies

So I have been following the document related to intercom api and was able to add a new conversation with body using the api. However, I am also trying to assign a conversation title along with some of my tags during the creation process but it does not seem to be reading those properties during creation. I tried the PUT endpoint after the conversation was created to update those fields but they do not seem to make any updates either. Please let me know what the correct way to accomplish this?!

Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by Roy 20 April 2021, 23:10

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello @user1111​ 👋, Welcome to Interconnect ✨

Q - How to add/update title to a conversation from the intercom API

A - Did you mean to add a conversation subject?

To create a conversation with the Subject, you should send the request to "https://api.intercom.io/conversations"

Content:

{

"from": {

"type": "user",

"id": "Intercom Contact ID"

},

"subject": "Subject",

"body": "Conversation Text"

}

======================================================

Adding a tag to the conversation via API:

Sending request to "https://api.intercom.io/conversations/<ConversationID>/tags"

Content:

{

"id": "TagID",

"admin_id": "AdminID"

}

More information from Intercom API docs

Let me know if you have any questions about Intercom API, more than happy to help.

Roy,

Thank you very much for the response. I have tried the first option to add a subject during the conversation creation process but for some reason that property does not seem to be setting the conversation. I will try again.

So I found the tags endpoint that you mentioned which does work, but is there a way to make that also part of the conversation creation process or tags requires it to be a different endpoint altogether?

Thanks again.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@user1111​ , First, you should create a conversation to apply tags to them.

"Create conversation API" creates a conversation, it's not possible to apply tags to the non-created conversation.

The same is with the assignment, first you should create a conversation to assign to the team member.

I hope this will be helpful, Always happy to help 😇

Thanks Roy, Seems like this works through POSTMAN so I will try to replicate that into my server side API code.