Answered

Is it possible to register a push notification token for a user using the web API?

We have our product running for a couple years now. There's a lot of users. When we started with intercom there either wasn't any option for supporting push notifications or we just didn't find it enticing enough. Now we would like to enable push notifications in intercom.

We have thousands of push notification tokens in our DB that we use in our product. Is there any option to use those tokens and just synchronize them to the users in Intercom or is the only possible option to use the iOS SDK in our app?

icon

Best answer by Eric Fitz 17 May 2021, 11:49

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 1

Hey @janusz​, if you're looking to send push notifications using Intercom, your only option is to do so via our iOS SDK.

It could be beneficial, like in our case, to be able to sync our "push device token database" with Intercom. Right now, if we plan to start using Intercom push notifications we need to create an app update with enabled Intercom device registration and wait for users to adopt the new app version before we're able to send push notifications.

If we could assign device tokens to users from the backend (using the Intercom API) like we do for all user data right now (emails, names, custom project values) we would be able to send push notifications from Intercom to all already registered users.

Is this something that you might allow? It's kind of a blocker for us.

Userlevel 1

It's not something that we would allow, nor do we plan to do so in future. The only way to send push notifications to your users, using Intercom, would be to install our mobile SDK. I appreciate this may be a blocker for you, but it would be the only way available to you to use Intercom for push.

Thank you. This clears things up. If I may: do you see any potential problems with allowing to sync the push device token from other places than iOS SDK?

Userlevel 1

I'm unsure if this is something we plan to introduce in future, or what the blockers there may be, but I'd be happy to suggest this as a feature request for you to the relevant team via our @Product Wishlist​ group.

That would be sweet. Thank you.