Answered

Can I assign conversations between different Intercom workspaces?

• 8 June 2021
  • 8 replies

Is there a way to hand off chats to a different instance of Intercom?

icon

Best answer by Roy 8 June 2021, 12:08

View original

8 replies

Badge

Hi @user224​ , If I got your question correctly, you are looking to transfer the Intercom conversation to another Intercom workspace. Am I right?

In this case, there is no feature for that. however, you can use Intercom API to reach this goal.

If you quickly share a little bit information about your use case, I will try my best to help.

Hi @roy s11​ thank you.

My org has a tech support instance of Intercom for customers, and our org's marketing team also installed their own instance of Intercom for customer asset creation support. (no immediate plans to combine the instances).

There are specific scenarios where we would like to "hand off" the chat to the marketing instance with the chat transcript. This may be done via a specific path in a custom bot or manually by a live agent. Can the API support this?

Badge

@user224​ , Hm... How about combining this two workspace in one?

1) User 1 Intercom workspace;

2) Set-up teams;

3) Set-up proper rights for team members;

That's the ideal solution, agreed. However it's not currently an option. Long long term it will be the way we go. I'm looking for a medium term solution. 😉

Badge

@user224​ , Can you describe a bit more about the challenges that you have to combine this in one workspace?

I will try to help.

Hi @roy s11​ this is a leadership decision (massive company) so I don't have that option to combine at this point. So it's out of scope.

Hi @user224​ 👋

It isn't possible to assign conversations from your workspace to the marketing team's workspace. @roy s11​ 's suggestion of adding them as teammates would be the best solution here, but I understand this wouldn't work for your medium term solution.

Feel free to submit this as a feature request to @Product Wishlist​ group! 😊

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

You need to present the case to the leadership team and explain that this is not productive.

• You need to have a full customer lifecycle from a visitor/lead phase to being a user
  • Sometimes users ask for help on your website without logging in and might use new device and will not be recognized by Intercom - this will create a workload for marketing people instead of a support people
  • Financially, I assume it's better to have one environment

I had 2 similar projects where I merged two Intercom environments (one client was even using 3 different instances - 2 for different marketing sites and 1 for the app/service they were running). I also had a project where the client used some other chat tool for support (within the app) and Intercom for the website (marketing) and eventually migrated everything to Intercom.

If you still wish to have different instances then API development will be needed. That costs. Also, you'll be paying twice for the user (in both instances).