Answered

Is there a way to set the "Assign replies to" value to a message via the API?

• 21 June 2021
  • 2 replies

I can create a message and send it to a user, but when they reply it goes to the admin who created the message. I'd like to have this assigned to a group instead, which I can do in the Intercom UI. There doesn't appear to be an option to set that via API.

icon

Best answer by Roy 21 June 2021, 18:51

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello @andy g​ 👋, Welcome to Interconnect ✨

If we are talking about admin-initiated conversations here, it's not possible to define "Assign replies to" via API at this time.

Workaround:

- You Can create admin-initiated conversation via API;

- Save conversation ID in your platform;

- Use "Assign a conversation" API to assign it to a specific team or admin. Example:

$ curl https://api.intercom.io/conversations/ConversationIDhere/parts

{
"type": "team",
"admin_id": "3998818",
"assignee_id": "4556297", //TeamID Here
"message_type": "assignment"
}

It's really good feedback for @Product Wishlist​ group to allow users to define default assigned during creating Admin-initiated conversations via API.

I hope this will be helpful and just let me know if you need any further assistance about this topic.

Have a great week ahead.

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I am using the message API (https://developers.intercom.com/intercom-api-reference/reference#admin-initiated-conversation.

The hash of the API url makes me think we're talking about the same thing, but I'm confused in the difference between "Create a message" and "Create a conversation" in the API docs.

Below is the response I'm getting using that API. There's no Conversation ID in the response, and based on the docs it sounds like it isn't created until the recipient actually replies to my outgoing message.

Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 12.58.38 PM 

My goal is to send an email to a user and when they reply have it assigned to a group all via API. Let me know if there's a better way to do this.