Answered

Tour Targeting: Can we initiate a tour based off a web element being present?

• 9 August 2021
  • 5 replies

One of our Product's key selling points is dynamic in terms of when it will first appear. It could be weeks, or it could be months. Or if it's a new user for an existing client, it will be as soon as they log in the first time.

Once it hits, it is a BIG DEAL and we want to trigger right then a congratulatory/explanatory Product Tour so they recognize and understand how to shift their workflow for these specific items.

The issue is that this is a web element. It doesn't live in the URL, and it doesn't appear as a User/Company attribute in Intercom.

Any thoughts or is this a Product Enhancement?

Autopilot

icon

Best answer by Roy 10 August 2021, 01:23

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello @ryan g11​ , How are you? 👋

The best way to handle this is to send Intercom the following information via JavaScript API. Create some new field in a user profile, send 1 - once-dynamic element is displayed and once not just send 0.

This will allow you to target tours once this element is displayed.

Let me know if you have any additional questions about this topic, more than happy to answer all of them.

That's very helpful Roy, thank you 🙇 !

It sounds like you're referencing this article about Events and Custom Attributes from the Help Center?

Userlevel 1
Badge

@ryan g11​ , More likely a custom attribute.

You can for sure send event to Intercom as well, but build similar with the custom attributes is easier.

Send custom user attributes to Intercom

I hope this will be helpful, let me know if you have any questions about this topic.

Just wanted to say thank you - finally able to get a colleagues assistance with the custom attribute and get this targeting set up!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey @ryan g11​ 👋

I'm so happy that it worked 🙏

Thank you for the update, have a lovely day.

If you have any further questions about Intercom, you can always post them here.

Best,

Roy