Answered

Can I send and receive SMS messages in Intercom?

• 7 October 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

I want to

1. Send my users weekly reminders via sms based on rules from “series”,
  2. Allow them to reply in a way that their reply arrives at our representative’s inbox in intercom.

Is that possible (even only one of those options?) - and if so what integrations can be used for this?

icon

Best answer by Mohamed Elbadwihi 7 October 2021, 23:24

View original

2 replies

Badge

Hello @user1140​ , How things are going? 👋

Q - Send my users weekly reminders via sms based on rules from “series”,

A - That's actually not possible currently, but as far as I know Intercom product team working hard to bring SMS capacity to Intercom.

Bringing SMS/What's app Integration to Intercom gives companies the ability to provide the best Omnichannel experience.

Lots of companies dream to build such Omnichannel experience.

Q - Allow them to reply in a way that their reply arrives at our representative’s inbox in intercom.

A - Right now you can use Octopods Integration to get Incoming SMS conversations and reply to them.

More information about Octopods can be found here.

I will also mention @mohamed e11​ from Octopods team, I'm sure he can provide better assitance.

Badge +1

Thanks a lot for the mention, @roy s11​ !

@user1140​ As Roy mentioned, the main use case with Octopods is to send and receive SMS in Intercom manually. You can do 1-to-1 outbound messaging using our proactive messaging add-on: https://octopods.io/intercom-proactive-whatsapp-sms/p>

If you wish to incorporate Series into it, it's possible, but it's a little tricky. There are two ways:

1. Use Intercom's "Webhooks in Series" feature (linked), and then use that to trigger an SMS via one of the SMS providers we support (such as Twilio). You'll need to be somewhat familiar with the Twilio API to do this. That won't show up in Intercom, but if the user replies, their response will be brought to Intercom by Octopods, and you can carry the conversation from there.
  2. An easier method would be to set up a Zapier Zap that can send SMS via Twilio, triggered by an Intercom tag. That way, you can set your Series to simply add a tag to the Intercom user, and that will trigger the SMS. We have a guide on how to send SMS via Zapier, and a video (in the "Introduction" section) of that in action: https://docs.octopods.io/en/collections/2485810-automation/li>

The guides I've linked above don't use Series, but you should be able to perform the tagging via Series as shown in this discussion (linked).

I hope this helps.