Answered

Intercom Messenger automatically opening on page reload

• 11 October 2021
  • 5 replies

Has anyone else experienced the Intercom launcher opening on page reload at all?

We're seeing this with only some of our platform users in Chrome (11/10/2021 Version 94.0.4606.81)

For some users there is a 404 call to a specific endpoint that appears to be related to articles from Messenger?

It looks like when the 404 for happens, there's a successful API call to open the intercom module, which means that for some users when they load the page the intercom launcher is expanded automatically.

This makes it hard for users to use our product without having to minimise Intercom all the time.

icon

Best answer by Tom M11 11 October 2021, 17:16

View original

5 replies

One of our customer success representatives has reported it only started doing it after they had opened it to search for an article, which is interesting as the 404 appears to be article related.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @tom m11​ ,

To better understand your case, once the user opens some help center article and refreshes the page - messenger states open and showing?

Can you provide some screen recordings?

Looking forward.

Hi @Roy 🦄​ , I'm not sure it's exclusive to just interacting with a Help Centre article, but the reports I've had from our 2 CS reps are that they have looked at an article using the Help Centre module that's embedded in the Messenger. We enabled the new Help Centre module about a month ago, and haven't seen this issue until recently.

Sure I've uploaded a video here.

The thing I didn't show on this screenshare is that the Messenger is then expanding on every page reload. Even if the user minimises the Messenger, then the page is reloaded, the Messenger expands again, regardless of if you've minimised it.

Thanks for taking a look at our problem.

One of our engineers, knowing that it is now caused by interacting with the embedded Help Centre module in the Messenger, asked me to remove these two local storage entries in the application tab, and it then works after refresh. But does re-appear.

It appears there's an openOnBoot.type value being set when the articles are expanded to the wider view.

Screenshot 2021-10-11 at 15.55.38If you expand an article using the icon in the top right of the article (shown below), the second entry is added and a value is set to true, then if you minimise the page, it's correctly set to false, refresh the page the value is set to false, but still causes the Messenger to open regardless.

Screenshot 2021-10-11 at 16.00.59

@roy s11​ CS are taking a look at this now. 🙂