Answered

iOS SDK v10.2.0 – Failed to build module 'Intercom' from its module interface

• 11 October 2021
  • 5 replies

I just went to update my Intercom iOS SDK and for version 10.2.0 and above I am experiencing the following build error:

Failed to build module 'Intercom' from its module interface; the compiler that produced it, 'Apple Swift version 5.5 (swiftlang-1300.0.31.1 clang-1300.0.29.1)', may have used features that aren't supported by this compiler, 'Apple Swift version 5.4 (swiftlang-1205.0.26.9 clang-1205.0.19.55)'

I suspect something has gone wrong in the 'Added support for iOS 15' release which means it's no longer backwards compatible. If this is intentional then there are no warnings about this in the release notes, and no migration guide on the Intercom docs.

Has version 10.2.0 and above been compiled on Xcode 13 without checking that it's backwards compatible with Xcode 12.5? I can see the import _Concurrency in the build error coming from Intercom, and MainActor has been used in a few places, which has probably broken backwards compatibility for those still using Swift 5.4 and Xcode 12.5.

icon

Best answer by Eric Fitz 18 October 2021, 12:21

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 1

Hey @ben g​, as per our installation documentation, Xcode 13 is a requirement for our iOS SDK at this current time. You'll need to upgrade to Xcode 13 for the installation to work as expected, as there isn't any backwards compatibility here.

@eric f11​ Thanks I'll wait upgrade to Xcode 13 first then. Some feedback:

• It would've been nice to flag Xcode 13 requirement in the release notes of the SDK to save some debugging time. "Added support for iOS 15" doesn't necessarily highlight the fact it's moved to Xcode 13+.
  • Perhaps the update requiring Xcode 13 should've been a major update (e.g from v10 to v11 of iOS SDK) as it's quite a breaking change in terms of how you use the SDK, even if none of the APIs themselves have changed.
Userlevel 1

Thanks so much for that feedback @ben g​, I agree that the inclusion of the Xcode 13 requirement in the release notes of the SDK would have been useful. I'll make sure to flag both of these items with our mobile team for you 👍

Userlevel 1

Our mobile team are going to update the release notes on the SDK version to provide further clarity around the Xcode 13 requirement - thanks again for helping us to improve here!

@eric f11​ Thanks – appreciate it!