Answered

Is there a way to use oAuth to retrieve someone else's App Id so that a user can have its Intercom Messenger in our platform?

• 10 September 2021
  • 8 replies

We are building a platform for companies to train their teams and customers. With our product, clients (companies) can easily build their own academies and invite other users as learners.

As admins, companies should be able to integrate their Intercom account to our platform, so that their users can contact them through Intercom Messenger. I'm using oAuth for other APIs, but, for this one, I would need their App Id - as far as I know, I cannot get this information through any API. Is that correct? Is there a way to connect their Intercom Account to a Messenger in our platform?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by User180 1 November 2021, 00:01

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 1

Hey @gustavo b​, sincerest apologies for the delay in replying here! Just to clarify, are you building an app for Intercom's App Store here, or an in-house integration?

Hi @eric f11​ , I believe it's just an in-house integration. We want each of our clients (companies that buy a space with their own subdomain) to be able to use the Intercom chat to connect with their invitees (learners).

Userlevel 1

Hey @gustavo b​, do each of your clients also have their own Intercom workspaces and subscriptions?

@eric f11​ yes, those clients already have Intercom workspaces/subscriptions and they would connect their account to our platform to use the messenger with their students/learners.

Userlevel 1

@gustavo b​ I'm confused, if the clients have their own Intercom subscriptions, why would they need to use your Messenger?

@eric f11​ it’s not our messenger. It’s intercom’s messenger (we've installed this small chat icon in the bottom of the page). We are a white label LMS (learning management system), so we have clients that administrate their own workspace and they have their students. We want that our clients (as owners of their workspace) have a way to connect their own Intercom account to that messenger so that they would start communicating with their students receiving messages to their account. But each client has its account, that's why I thought about using oAuth.

Just to make it more clear: our clients may not need to see the intercom messenger, they can use their own account. But their students should see the messenger. Any message students send should go to the account connected (if the owner of the workspace set the integration in the platform and connected their intercom account to it).

Userlevel 1

@gustavo b​, apologies, but I'm finding it difficult to visualise your set up, so I'm sorry for the amount of follow up questions! So your customers will be recorded as users in your Intercom workspace, but you want them to be able to use a version of your Messenger to communicate with their students?

Hi Gustavo, I'm not sure if you found a solution to this - I also unfortunately am not a dev so cannot help with the specifics, but I do know that TalentLMS have very similiar functionality which might be helpful!

Hopefully this link works: https://help.talentlms.com/hc/en-us/articles/360014658553-How-to-set-up-Intercom-identity-verification/p>

TalentLMS themselves don't use Intercom (so that differs to your use case), but they do allow you to insert your own Intercom instance into their site so users can access the LMS and also contact us directly (even though the LMS is not hosted by us).